Are you interested in languages, education, and technology and want to work in one of the world's best EdTech startups? Then join us and be part of an ambitious and talented team that revolutionizes how we learn languages.
Busuu is the app that makes learning a language easier for everyone and proves that learning a language must not be done in a classroom.
We are the world's largest language learning community with over 100 million users from 190 countries, growing at up to 50,000 new users per day. We make learning a language easy by combining AI-powered courses with instant feedback from our global community of native speakers and live tutoring from qualified teachers across the world.
If you are passionate about languages, want to work with smart, creative, energetic people and possess the initiative, confidence, and good judgment to make independent decisions every day - then you are probably the perfect addition for our growing team.
Why is a Front-end Engineer important at Busuu?
While native mobile apps are a massive growth area for us, the majority of our users still experience Busuu through the web. It’s also our longest serving platform, has been at the core of the Busuu experience right from the start. It is incredibly important for us to continue building a great web user experience, both now and into the future, and to find people that are passionate about web technologies in general.
As a Front-end Engineer, you’ll be responsible for all the web products at Busuu, you’ll be in responsible for the code, UI, and UX of 4 different projects. Our team is still small enough that every engineer makes a massive difference.
At Busuu, there’s no server-side rendering, our Backend team provides APIs and as Front-end Engineers our daily work is to interact and implement such technologies in the client.What does a Front-end Engineer do at Busuu?
We trust in people who have a desire to learn and share, we’re looking for Engineers who want to make a difference by creating smart and reusable components.
You’ll be working on implementing new features working in sprints. We’re looking for people who have a passion for the user (UI, UX) but also who are interested in performance and code scalability.
You’ll be working in a team of Engineers from different backgrounds, and you should be willing to adapt and suggest improvements to an existing codebase. We’ve got many features planned for 2022 and we’re looking for people who have experience with Single Page Applications, working on real-time interactions, and creating friendly user experiences. You’ll have the full support of the rest of the Front-end team, allowing you to lead projects with an experienced team of senior engineers to guide and learn from.
What makes a great Front-end Engineer at Busuu?
- Desire to learn and share
- Strong knowledge of ES5 and ES6
- Experience in Unit Testing
- Strong knowledge of HTML Semantic and CSS
- Experience in building complex layouts and working with responsive applications
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations
- Demonstrated design and UX sensibilities
Being a part of Busuu - How do things work:
We are acutely aware that we are in unprecedented times and like all companies, we need to adapt to this in order to safeguard our Busuu community. In order to do this, we are constantly reviewing the government guidelines and adapting accordingly to accommodate the physical and mental well-being of our employees. In the current global climate, some of our team events are virtual and some of our benefits have been amended.At Busuu we want to ensure that you have access to some great benefits:
- Full health coverage (Non-hospital-Primary care, urgencies specialised outpatient, hospital coverage, etc)
- No copayments * & no waiting periods (* except franchises for dental services)
- Medical network with national coverage
- Therapeutic methods
- Travel assistance
- Includes video consultation
- Dental - 50 treatment for free
- App and Customer care in English
- Serious pre-existing medical conditions are excluded from the coverage
We aim to have a simple and speedy hiring process and we want to make sure that we are right for you as much as the other way around. The hiring process for Android Engineer is the following steps:
- CV application review - We will review it as quickly as possible
- Let’s chat - Quick chat with our recruiter about your experience and the role
- Technical questions - Technical call with the Android team
- Technical test - We will send you a technical test to complete in your time
- Coding review - Technical interview and task review with the Android team
- Culture fit interview - On-site or video call with the Engineering Manager
Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. We pride ourselves on embracing our differences, whether they're cultural, racial, religious or otherwise. This means each one of us comes to work knowing that we have a voice – and a safe, judgment-free zone to speak freely.
If you like the sound of that, join us. We'd love to hear what you have to say.