At Devex, our vision is to do more good for more people by being the media platform for the global development community. As a social enterprise, we connect and inform development, health, humanitarian and sustainability professionals through news, business intelligence, and funding and career opportunities, to name a few. Today, we reach over 1 million aid workers and development professionals, and we can't wait to make it even more.
We live our mission and bring our world-class academic and professional experience to work every day to change the world. When you become a Devexer, you’re not only joining a global company but a team of 120+ people who embody our guiding principles:
- We champion global development professionals.
- We focus on impact.
- We embrace transformation.
- We work together.
- We feel urgency.
Our Product team is responsible for making Devex's digital content available to our community in the best possible way. Most of our work is centered around the website devex.com and its related services, which is entirely developed and maintained by our team. For this, we communicate with stakeholders throughout the company and also act as an interface to all other things technical. We manage the cloud infrastructure running our digital services, implement business logic to process and store data, design, and develop appealing user interfaces that allow our users to interact with all kinds of content. We are an international team of over 15 people, mostly based in the Barcelona office, and constantly reflect on our work to improve team culture and efficiency.
Do you have 2+ years of working experience with professional development of web applications? Are you interested in joining an innovative social enterprise serving the international development community? Do you want to help maintain and expand a complex software system that serves digital content informing an audience of over 1 million global development professionals? Are you excited to be a part of a dynamic company that has an open and teamwork-focused culture?
We’re looking for a professional and passionate Intermediate Software Engineer for our Barcelona-based product team to ensure that our member community has a positive user experience when interacting with our content. You thrive in an environment where you're responsible for your own work while getting all the support you need. You also don't take yourself too seriously and are eager to work in a multicultural environment of experts like yourself. You’re keen to help your teammates, share your knowledge, learn from others, and welcome both positive and constructive feedback.
What you'll do at Devex
As an Intermediate Software Engineer, you will be responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of efficient, reusable, and reliable code - mostly in the Ruby programming language. Your main focus will be on back-end technologies with occasional gigs in the front-end.
- Work on both new and existing features of our software system. This means crafting clear and well-designed code that is deployed to our production system several times a week
- Review your peers' code, participate in pair programming and provide mentorship to junior engineers
- Collaborate with other engineers, designers, team leads and stakeholders for the best possible outcome
In your first weeks, you’ll:
- Get to know your peers and set up your work environment
- Start with small tasks and finish a minor project (epic) as part of your team
- See your first contributions deployed to our production environment
- Become familiar with the architecture of our entire software system
By the time you finish your first year, you’ll:
- Have become an integral part of the product team
- Have implemented well-defined tasks independently
- Lead technical initiatives within the scope of the front-end
- Fully understand the scope of Devex's services and mission
Tech Stack and Tools
The Devex website and related systems are hosted on Amazon Web Services, all developed code is version controlled via git on GitHub and ideally well tested. The main programming language for the back-end services is Ruby, using the Ruby on Rails and grape frameworks. The front-end is a mix of Ruby on Rails, Vanilla JS, AngularJS, jQuery and React. Nearly all data is stored in a relational database (PostgreSQL), cached by Redis, and searched over via Elasticsearch.
Here are the indicators that this could be a good role for you:
- EU work authorization
- Strong skills in written and spoken English
- At least 2 years of experience in professional web application development
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or any other web framework like Symfony or Django
- A solid grasp of object-oriented programming, automated software testing, and the application development life-cycle in general
- Experience with version control systems like git
Besides the basics, here’s what we’d love to see:
- Familiarity with relational databases and/or search engines like Solr or Elasticsearch
- Experience with agile methodologies like Scrum or Kanban
- Familiarity with cloud services like Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with containerization technologies like docker
That said, anything else that you bring to the table which adds value to our team is highly appreciated.
What We Offer You
Being part of the Devex team is a partnership. We strive to make Devex a place where you can thrive and do your most inspirational work. Here are a few benefits we offer:
- Flexible work hours (100% remote until 2021 and part-time work from home thereafter)
- Generous parental leave
- Leadership skills and Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion workshops
- Wellness activities
- 23 days paid vacation
- 2, one-week-long enterprise-wide breaks to rest and recharge
- 2 YAY days to learn or adventure as you like
- Private health and dental insurance
We encourage applications from all backgrounds! We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Devex. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Ready to get started? Apply now! Interviews will begin the week of August 31st, and we will continue to accept new applications until an offer is accepted.