- discuss and define new features from a user experience and architecture point of view with product managers, architects and other engineers;
- agree the technical implementation details with involved component owners and estimate its work effort;
- implement, test and demonstrate new product features in an agile process;
- develop complete sets of functionality including the backend and user interfaces;
- keep a keen eye on application performance, operability, robustness and failure resilience, and last but not least security of individual services and the whole system;
- work on ongoing functional and performance improvements, including bug fixing and issue solving on production applications and test automation.
“Would you like to see your work operated by hundreds of thousands of customers on a daily base?”
Michael Suess, VP Engineering, TomTom Telematics
What do we expect from you?
There is no fixed recipe to become a SaaS Backend Engineer in TomTom Telematics. It will definitely help if you have a passion for software engineering and it will help you to have as much as possible of the below:
- You have a degree in computing or engineering or an equal qualification and ideally 3 to 5 years of experience in commercial software development. The position can be modified to a junior or senior role depending on your previous experience.
- You are fluent in server-side Java development, including lightweight JEE (Spring) using SQL and noSQL data stores.
- You have expertise in working with large data sets in relational databases or key value stores, micro services, and REST APIs.
- You are aspiring to master the fine arts of software engineering as e.g. design for quality and reuse, componentization, resilience and multi-threading and are willing to get your hands dirty and dive deep into any kind of problem that comes your way.
- You are fluent in English (written and spoken).
- You are a great communicator, analytic, goal-oriented, quality-focused, yet still agile and open-minded person.
- You like to work with other software engineers, system engineers, architects, product owners … across multiple locations.
- You have a clear overview about all layers in software development and have a reasonable knowledge of design patterns and best practices and how to apply them effectively.
Let’s not forget the good stuff
- You will join an adventure in software product development within a rapidly growing business unit of a globally renowned brand and various opportunities for your professional development.
- You will get the chance to work in a fast moving, innovative and international environment, dealing with all kind of different countries and cultures.
- You will be part of a team of expert developers and contribute in building and adapting technology for WEBFLEET, TomTom’s leading fleet management system, or NEXTFLEET, TomTom’s emerging Connected Car Service platform.
- TomTom Telematics provides indefinite contracts, a competitive base salary and bonus plan.
- The benefits include private health insurance, pension plan (after 6 months contract), up to 50% discount on TomTom products, lunch vouchers.
- You can get access to an online learning platform (1500 courses & 11000 e-books), and your manager will be open to discuss personal training, certifications or conference attendance with you, after you proven yourself in our team.
Who are we?
TomTom empowers movement. Every day millions of people around the world depend on TomTom to make smarter decisions. We design and develop innovative products that make it easy for people to keep moving towards their goals.
Our map-based components include map content, online map-based services, real-time traffic, and navigation software. Our consumer products include PNDs, navigation apps, and GPS sports watches. Our main business products are custom in-dash navigation systems and a fleet management system, which is offered to fleet owners as an online service with integrated in-vehicle cellular devices.
Our business consists of four customer facing business units: Consumer, Automotive, Licensing and Telematics.
Founded in 1991 and headquartered in Amsterdam, we more than 4000 employees worldwide and sell our products in over 36 countries. For further information, please visit www.tomtom.com
If you would like to be part of this winning team and would like to help us further position ourselves as the authority in location and navigation solutions, please apply today!
Pre-employment screening of all external candidates is part of the selection process.