ABOUT THE ROLE
Contentful is on the journey of becoming the standard on how content is integrated and meshed into applications and modern infrastructure. The new technology stack of serverless, containers and applications focused on immersive user experiences demands that content becomes an integral part of the technology stack and not a self-standing isolated technological components.
Our Product and Engineering department is built around the concept of agile experimentation, continuous delivery and learning cycles. We believe that culture around agility is fundamental and it needs to be built and maintained, this is why we host workshops with experts like Jeff Patton and Donald Reinersten where we can learn and reflect on our culture, practices and KPIs.
These projects comprehend a wide set of technological areas backend, frontend, client libraries and infrastructure that must all be consistent in their conception but also be allowed for independence in terms of execution.
As a VP of Engineering, you are responsible for shaping and maintaining a healthy engineering management team and through it, an engineering team that provides solutions and reliably executes on a streamlined and transparent delivery process.
In close collaboration with the CTO, Head of Product and Directors you will be growing our team and driving improvement in our engineering management practices and our product delivery processes. You’ll guide strategic departmental choices and ensure consistent delivery of value to our customers. You’ll work closely with Senior Management on strategy and organizational changes.
- Lead Contentful's engineering organization
- Work with our CTO to define and deliver the technical vision for the platform
- Manage and inspire a growing team of software engineers
- Grow Contentful software development team by building an outstanding engineering brand, hiring and retaining top talent from many diverse backgrounds
- Allow for fast iterations and tight feedback loop
- Uphold a strong culture of execution and accountability across engineering
- Deliver high quality, high availability, highly reliable, scalable, and secure systems
- Already lead a sizeable engineering team (in the hundreds of members)
- You had a consistent, excellent engineering career from individual contributor to leadership, you can be looked at as a role model and inspire your team
- Deep experience with modern web platforms & technologies, continuous delivery and deployment
- Proven success managing teams that maintain large globally distributed deployments on the public cloud (AWS or Google Cloud)
- You have a crisp vision with regard to where trends like containers, serverless architecture and GraphQL are leading
- Significant engineering management experience, both scaling and inheriting teams
- Strong track record of attracting, retaining, and mentoring top talent
- Commitment to attracting diverse candidates and removing unconscious bias in all situations
- Strong communication skills to a variety of audiences, from technical to non-technical
- Extensive experience with Product development methodologies
- Lead a team that is building the Infrastructure on which other teams delivers their projects
- Galvanise your reputation as a thought leader in next-generation application architecture
- Work with leadership and drive strategic choices
- Generous education budget complete with extra days off to be spent on your professional and self-development
- Be set up for success, equipped with the latest and greatest hardware
- Hang-out in one of our many shared spaces, playing games with colleagues or enjoying a full range of events, including workshops, on-site meetups, guest speakers, and fun events for the company and each team.
- Brush up your language skills! Our team speaks more than 20 languages, and we offer free German classes
- Take a break and pat a pup, we are a dog-friendly office
- We fully support your move to Berlin with a relocation budget and visa assistance. We'll help you settle into your exciting new city
- Plus, Contentful socks, oh yeah!
Variety is the spice of life” — and a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer: all qualified applicants are considered for positions regardless of race, ethnic origin, gender, age, religion or belief, marital status, gender identification, sexual orientation, or disability. We look forward to your application!