A bit about who we are:
We are Impraise, a team of international hackers, business hustlers and creative brains based in New York and Amsterdam. We are backed by the world's most renown startup accelerator, Y Combinator.
We are on a mission to change the way people collaborate at work and enable every company to create high-performing and engaging work environments. We care about feedback, design and beautiful products.
We are probably one of the most international startup teams of our size, 20+ nationalities. We really enjoy to work with ambitious people, value open communication across different cultures and learning from each other, both personally and professionally. Check out our Culture Video to discover who we are
A little more about what we do:
At Impraise we are redefining how people can learn quicker and workplaces become more engaging by enabling real-time feedback between co-workers. Impraise is a web-based and mobile solution for actionable, real-time feedback in the workplace. Often, performance reviews are carried out once or twice a year, which doesn’t support employees’ continuous learning. Our clients such as Atlassian, Booking.com and Shopify want to build transparent work environments in which people can learn everyday and work better as a team.
Real-time feedback allows people to better analyze their strengths and opportunities, track their progress and pursue their personal and professional goals on a continual basis.
Your team’s challenge:
You’ll be working with and leading the development teams. They are currently on a mission to build a product that sets a new standard in the market with regard to the way people and organizations handle performance management and personal development. The teams aim to build a product that perfectly integrates workflows between managers and employees. Additionally, as we are rapidly growing in number of clients and we partner with more and more larger enterprise clients, the teams are focused on building a product that scales with the growth of user numbers and customer requirements.The challenge we would like you to solve in this role: The current team exist of 12 engineers. Your mission will be to recruit, train, guide and inspire an effective and engaged engineering team that builds high-quality technology that enables us to achieve our mission.
A bit about you:
This role requires wise eyes, broad shoulders and a thick skin. For that reason we think you should have substantial experience in the software industry, in different phases of the business lifecycle, ideally during a hyper-growth stage of a software startup.
Crucial to your success is that you have led at least one larger engineering team and have been a central part of a wider executive team within a business. We want to be able to learn from you on day one. You know how to manage - motivate, inspire, and mentor engineers. And you know how to communicate your vision on technology and the details of implementation to non-technical team colleagues at all levels.
You are a people’s person who naturally knows how to connect and motivate engineers. Ideally you come from a background in software development, with solid coding experience that gives you credibility with engineers. Tech leads, across the business, will in the future report to you and will need guidance, training, and feedback. Product owners will need to feel your influence as you help them to create small, well-defined stories and prioritise work carefully for their teams. You will need knowledge, born from experience, of how to design and ship complex features across the whole stack. You will need to have a deep connection to one or more engineering communities, from which you can draw inspiration, information, and hiring contacts.
Finally, and perhaps most importantly, you need to be in love with our mission to redefine how people learn and improve at work. This is very important. If you don’t connect with our product and plan, it’s not going to work.
What we expect you to know and do from day one:
Software Engineering Leadership
- Build a high-performing engineering environment where top performers are encouraged to take decisions and workflows are designed to let them work in the most productive ways. Bottom performers, if there are any, will receive strong improvement plans.
- Guarantee a process that helps achieve results and keeps the team as a whole in the right direction
- Review and then continuously improve our development practices across the business
- Introduce tools, systems and processes to improve our code quality and standards
- Develop and improve our testing and deployment processes
- Foster best-practices on QA process within the teams
- Identify skill gaps and strengths and facilitate training and skill sharing
- Train, guide, and hire technology leaders (both technical and managerial) across the team
Roadmapping and cross company leadership
- Collaborate closely with colleagues in Product, Design and Marketing to find opportunities for technology to improve quality, pace and innovation
- Be the leading voice for technology during Roadmap discussions with the Product Manager(s) and other department heads
Delivery Process Improvement
- Support our product owners, tech leads and others in improving the pace and quality of delivery of features
- Mentoring and coaching of future tech leads
- Supporting measurement and continuous improvement in delivery
- Establish key metrics for team’s accountability
Skills and training
- Develop our internal technology skills development programme across the whole business
- Develop our engineering ladder and internal mentoring and career development processes
- Find opportunities for our engineering team to publish and speak at industry events
- Identify areas for company and individual skills improvements
Hiring & building the engineering organization
- Design the engineering org chart for engineering based on the business’s needs
- Own the hiring pipeline for engineering roles in collaboration with our recruiter
- Develop technical testing processes
- Build the engineering employer brand
- Advocate for Impraise across the industry
Guide Architecture Development
- With the help of our technical architects within the organisation, review and then own the technology roadmap
- Improve documentation and maintenance of our systems
- Make sure our technical architects have a coherent architectural roadmap across our creative platform, storefront, print ops, data warehouse and other systems
- Review and manage 3rd party technology suppliers
What we expect you to do in 6 months:
Within six months we expect that you’ve become a central member of the company - the go to person for the bigger picture around the engineering organization and technical roadmap. You make and influence technical decisions in order to support our company strategy. We expect you’ll be a respected leader of the engineering team, taking leadership of technical projects and skills development. We expect you’ll have become a powerful external advocate for the company and have supported the creation of a robust hiring pipeline. You’ll have defined a clear, compelling vision for the growth of our engineering that supports our wider commercial ambitions.
Finally, we are sure you’ll be having a lot of fun and learning a huge amount about how to build a high growth, high performance, high joy business that’s helping people unleash their potential at work.
What we offer:
- Market competitive salary plus stock option plan
- Professional Development Allowance & Health Allowance
- Lunch arranged every day at the office
- Commute coverage in case you live far from the office
- Company provided laptop and equipment
- Work from our office in the center of Amsterdam
- A meaningful problem to solve that delivers true value for users
- A mission-driven team that aims to have a long lasting impact in the market
- Be at the core of a scaling company and impactful product
- Talented and fun colleagues: serial entrepreneurs, psychologists, and people from companies like Google, Lyft, Accenture, and Bloomberg.
Official website, founding date, employees, how did it all begin... Do you know the whole story?Tell Us!