On-demand food delivery is here to stay. With industry growth supercharged by lockdown conditions in the global pandemic, and virtual restaurants – or ‘dark kitchens’ – now entering the mainstream, the future of food is digital.
However, there have been some clear problems with virtual restaurants from day one. Pungent smells, queues of delivery drivers waiting outside and often unsociable operating hours have given dark kitchens a bad reputation in local communities. Inside, the kitchens are usually windowless, busy and punishingly hot, with workers “cooped up like battery hens” while earning low pay, and on zero-hour contracts. In that environment, mistakes happen all too easily leading to errors in customer orders and staff injury.
What we're Building
It’s time to take virtual restaurants to the next level! At REMY Robotics, we use Delivery Restaurant Robotics (DRR) to solve the problems today’s dark kitchens face. We’re building the world’s first portfolio of vertically integrated delivery restaurant brands powered by DRR, with food prepared exclusively in our autonomous robot-run kitchens. Our kitchens use software-defined and adaptive robots, computer vision, artificial intelligence and mechatronics that can ensure constant quality, adaptability to any recipe, and operational effectiveness across an endless variety of food production scenarios. The food will be available for delivery via our ordering app, a state of the art digital platform and parent brand to our portfolio of virtual restaurant brands.
Who we are
At REMY, we like to do things a bit differently. Unlike traditional software products, our robots exist in the physical world: this means the scope of our products and projects are wide-ranging, from the highly technical to the physical, such as identifying and implementing appropriate food packaging solutions for our customer-facing hot food products.
Additionally, REMY Robotics benefits from having Kinetik, the financial technology group famous for unicorns like Arrival, as sole founder-investors. This distinctive model, combined with our existing team of experienced, highly-driven world-class tech, culinary and operational employees, removes the bureaucracy from our business, allowing us to focus on what will make a real impact to REMY’s products.
At REMY Robotics, we are developing groundbreaking technological solutions to create a better future for the food industry, for consumers and for the planet.
At REMY, we’re paying great attention to details, design, and user experience. We have not only many customer-facing interfaces and applications that are used by our external customers but also many products for internal use to manage interactions with delivery companies and robots. You are going to work in close collaboration with our product and operations team, app developers, CTO and CEO to help us create the products and brands people will love.
In this role, you will be a UX-UI Product Designer across several REMY products responsible for delivering exceptional user interface experience and visual design. As such, your responsibilities will include:
- Leading across all phases of design work: participating in research, defining conceptual foundation for design solutions, executing excellent UX flows, applying visual design systems, prototyping using a variety of tools and methods, creating production ready designs, conducting usability testing and support multi-disciplinary teams during implementation;
- Contributing to the creation of outstanding experiences, incorporating best practices in UX and creating solid, engaging UX and UI patterns;
- Supporting and contributing to design frameworks, UX toolkits and design systems;
- Managing multiple work streams in a fast-paced, complex, and changing environment.
What success means in this role
- Creating beautifully designed apps and products that people love using;
- Understanding the needs of the users of your services (external and internal);
- Business and tech know-how: being able to interpret quantitative and qualitative data and capable to translate company goals and objectives into digital experiences as well as understanding the limitations and necessities of the development side;
- Leading discussions, promote design solutions and adapt design practices – convincing through narrative and rigour;
- Operational excellence in prioritisation and time-management as well as quality delivering.
What will make you a great candidate
- You have 3+ years experience creating very successful mobile apps / product design that can be demonstrated in your portfolio, ideally in the fields of food, food-delivery, banking and other competitive sectors;
- You have strong knowledge of UX/UI (web and mobile) and you are passionate about design;
- Previous experience with Figma is a must, knowledge of RIVE is a plus;
- You have experience working with Product Managers and engineers utilising Agile methodologies;
- You are driven and always willing to get out of your comfort zone;
- You have a good knowledge of usability principles and techniques;
- You have excellent communication skills;
- You are fluent in English both written and spoken.
What we offer
- The beaches, food, vibes, mountains and architecture of Barcelona
- The chance to work on the next big thing in Food Tech
- Amazing colleagues and a great culture
- You get to pick your workstation & tools
- Personal growth, innovation and learning every day
- Health insurance for you and your family
- 23-25 paid vacation days (+9 public holidays)
- Return flights home
- Gym subscription
- Relocation assistance