Software Engineering Manager in Madrid or Remote
Launched in 1998, this pioneering British-born brand has specialised in creating amazing experiences and unforgettable memories - from hotels, city breaks and holidays to theatre, entertainment and spa days. Experts in brightening up online travel, lastminute.com is among the worldwide leaders in the field, helping hundreds of thousands of customers every year find, and do, "whatever makes them pink".
lastminute.com is part of lm group, publicly traded multinational Group, among the worldwide leaders in the online travel industry. Every month, the Group reaches across all its websites and mobile apps (in 17 languages and 40 countries) 60 million unique users that search for and book their travel and leisure experiences. More than 1,200 people enjoy working with us and contribute to provide our audience with a comprehensive and inspiring offering of travel related products and services.
At the heart of our culture is a commitment of inclusion across race, gender, age sexual orientation, religion, gender identity or expression and accessibility. We strongly believe in an equal opportunity space, which is welcoming and celebrates the uniqueness of everyone who works here. We value different lived experiences and respect viewpoints, as we know unicity drives innovation. We want to make sure our people reflect the communities across the world we help travel.
*This vacancy is also eligible for the External Referral Programme: Do you have a friend that you think can be interested in this position? Don’t keep it for yourself, click here and suggest us his/her profile! Check out how our External referral policy works here
*Please note that this is full remote working position*
To support the growth of our business we are looking for a Software Engineering Manager. He/she will be responsible for growth and high performance of the software teams in a dedicated area of the product:
- Ensure the teams’ efficiency and high quality work: enforce tech excellence, tech debt management and regular adjustment of processes and timelines in line with continuous improvement philosophy;
- Has clear understanding of the business and the reference domain, and fosters the knowledge’s growth among the team members, peers and stakeholders.
- Manage the budget and external vendors;
- Prioritize the issues and support the tech organisation in tackling them;
- Foster alignment among people in the teams, with stakeholders or between teams and locations;
- Communicate regularly about the plans, policies and procedures;
- Promote the healthy growth of a common code base and common infrastructure;
- Drive design and interactions at software architecture level;
- Collect requirements with impacts on software architecture and infrastructure;
- Work closely with Product Managers to manage project scope and ensure the technical deliverables are met;
- Adjust staff requirements according to company goals (including hire/fire);
- Set, follow up and measure teams’ and individual performance. Advise on growth and training needs and monitor progress;
- Promote self-mastery: coach team members to take responsibility for their own growth for example by looking for and providing meaningful feedback;
- Build an inclusive and judgment-free workplace with respect, teamwork, trust as core values.
- 2-3 years of previous experience in people management, in complex contexts and environments;
- Expert-level knowledge in technology sector and processes;
- Data driven approach,
- Strategic thinking with pragmatic approach to development, balancing between output quality and time;
- Flexibility in trying new solutions and adapting to new scenarios;
- Strong focus on people growth and teamwork, ability to mentor, coach and provide actionable feedback
- Great communication and interpersonal skills, ability to explain complex information to non-technical management personnel and other stakeholders;
- Ability to negotiate and solve conflicts;
- Great organizational and planning skills
- Join a dynamic team in an inclusive-international environment
- Grow thanks to the career journey and our internal mobility perspective
- Manage your own schedule thanks to the flexible start and end of the working day
- Work a shorter working week (36h), of which 4 hours on Friday morning
- Get focus time for learning, development and deep work on Friday mornings
- Work partially or fully remote according to local laws
- Enjoy continuous training thanks to our company platform
- Benefit from employee discounts on travel
- Receive 2 days off per year for the purpose of volunteering
- Get free snacks / fruit / hot drinks / water / beverages at our offices