We are looking for an enthusiastic backend developer that helps us to design and build a new generation of tools that will transform open-access publishing. By working at Frontiers you will play a key role in shaping the future of science and academic publishing. You will be joining a thriving company where your contribution will have an immediate effect on the way science is evolving
What you do
- You develop small, well crafted components that plug into our data processing pipeline.
- You write scalable queries that impact millions of rows while keeping execution time low.
- You make improvements to our testing procedure that allow us to move master and with more confidence.
- You collaborate with data scientists and machine learning experts in order to tackle challenging problems in a scalable way.
- You work with cutting edge technologies like delta lake to help us provide our users with innovative tools.
How you do it
- You participate in your team's scrum process.
- You initiate and participate in technical discussions, where many tools, architectures and processes are on the table.
- You submit pull requests and discuss solutions with the team in order to share knowledge.
- You contribute to overall software quality by writing SOLID and testable code.
- You think outside the box when designing and architecting solutions.
- You actively participate in discussions and discovery sessions to help shape the product and actively understand and embrace the business requirements.
You work in a growing team along with other talented developers and data engineers. Supported by a Scrum Master, QA and Product Owner, the team usually works in 2 week sprints.
An example of a day in the office
Migrating our data pipeline from using interactive clusters to job pools is the next story in the current sprint. This will allow us to reduce costs and also give us more flexibility for testing our code against Azure databricks. You assign yourself the story and one of your teammates will be joining you. The both of you start digging into the python code. After lunch you both have the architecture planned out, you decide to divide the work between the both of you. You start working on refactoring our helpers in order to be compatible with the job clusters. Time flies and it's time to head out, you are happy with the progress you made. Tomorrow is going to be a great day.
What we are looking for
- Minimum of 2 years in a similar role.
- You are proficient in Python.
- You hold your work to high standards.
- You are curious and love to learn and try out new things.
- You are knowledgeable in development methods, best practices, conventions, algorithms and design patterns.
- You are eager to work with technologies like Azure databricks, delta lake, Docker, Azure data factory, Azure Batch.
- You Are not afraid to fail fast and learn from mistakes.
- You are willing to Travel to the Frontiers' headquarters in Switzerland occasionally.
- You have good english skills.
- Experience with spark is a nice to have.
What we’re offering
- Competitive salary.
- Participation into Frontiers annual bonus scheme
- 25 leave days + 4 well-being days (pro rata and expiring each year on 31st of December)
- Great work-life balance.
- An office in an awesome location.
- Opportunity to work remotely all over Spain
- Fresh fruit, snacks and coffee.
- English classes.
- Flexible retribution scheme (nursery cheques, restaurant pass, transportation).
- Team building/sport activities and monthly social events.
- Lots of opportunities to work with exciting technologies and solve challenging problems.
Frontiers actively embraces diversity and is a safe and welcoming workplace. Recruitment is free from discrimination - including based on race, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or sexual orientation. With over 600 employees from more than 50 different nations, our diversity creates vibrant teams and constantly challenges us to appreciate multiple perspectives.