From smartphones to connected cars, location data is changing the way we live and the way business happens. CARTO is the platform that turns location data into more efficient delivery routes, better behavioural marketing, deforestation tracking, and more.
CARTO enables a type of advanced analytics specialized in spatial location. Our platform provides tools for visualization, data management, and analysis of large spatial datasets. We are one of the main contributors to free and open-source geospatial software, like PostGIS. We also ran one of the biggest clusters of PostGIS enabled databases in the world.
Backed by leading VC firms Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, CARTO is poised to lead the Location Intelligence space.
CARTO works with big private organizations like Google, Procter & Gamble, Mastercard, etc., but also with governments and NGOs to fight COVID-19 or climate change. We provide hundreds of grants to different organizations around sustainability and inequality issues. We believe spatial analytics will be critical for the future of our societies and environment.
With hundreds of thousands of users as of today, we are pioneering a new community of Spatial Data Scientists. Check out our yearly Spatial Data Science Conference.
What are we looking for
We are looking for an experienced Software Developer to join our Data Engineering team to work on pioneer projects for data management, visualization, and analytics. An engineer who is passionate about working on databases and computing algorithms and who is also willing to impact hundreds of thousands of analysts and data scientists around the world.
There has been a lot of work done on adding spatial capabilities to relational databases. However, we are starting to see the trend moving towards next-generation data warehouses like BigQuery, Snowflake, AWS Athena, or open-source like Spark, Apache Drill, etc. These new distributed computing systems provide a unique opportunity to tackle really big spatial problems.
At CARTO, we are building the next-generation geospatial warehouse on top of the best data warehouses to take full advantage of performance and scalability capabilities and process huge datasets without moving data in and out of the platform.
Now we are looking for someone to join our talented team of engineers developing core capabilities to expand these features in BigQuery and make them available in other data warehouses and platforms, and implement bindings to these features in our CARTOframes Python library and our Data Observatory technology, to be consumed by data scientists and data engineers.
If you love to be in contact with top engineers in geospatial data, this is your place!
- Be part of the Data Engineering team working at the database engineering group
- Build the next-generation geo-analytics platform for developers and data scientists
- Learn about modern data tools and platforms, mapping, and geospatial development. Also, if you already have experience in those fields, we’ll be happy to learn from you
- Work in stable and mature products used by top clients around the world
- Create new proofs of concept and develop ideas from scratch
- Communicate periodically with your work team, via Slack and daily meetings
- Help to define, plan and organize work tasks in 2-week iterations with Clubhouse
- Apply good development practices: clean code, testing, documentation, code reviews
- Contribute to open-source projects in GitHub (part of our work is open-sourced!)
- Periodically, you’ll also be part of our Response Team to improve our platform
- Be ready to work and collaborate with engineers from open-source communities like PostgreSQL, Vis.gl, PyData, and from companies like Uber, Microsoft, or Google
- Initiative, a can-do attitude and eagerness to learn! Curiosity, energy and a collaborative mindset (code reviews, pair programming, promote teamwork, succeed together)
- A solid 5+ years experience as a software developer, with a mature approach to the job (git/GitHub, documentation, testing, profiling...)
- 2+ years of experience working with SQL databases
- Affinity for math problems and algorithms
Nice to have
- Experience working with geospatial technology. Ideally PostGIS, S2, H3
- Knowledge of high-performance databases and distributed computing
- Understand indexes and the challenges of paralyzation of certain algorithms
- Be familiar with Big Data formats and technologies such as Avro, Parquet, or ORC
- Knowledge of Jupyter Notebooks and SciPy
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform
- Competitive, results-based compensation, plus an annual bonus of up to 10% based on company objectives
- Contribute to a platform used by top companies around the world. Your work will have a direct impact on our users and clients
- Access to our Employee Stock Options Plan
- Private Medical Insurance
- Every Friday afternoon is Leapfrog time when you will be working on whatever you like related to CARTO: contribute to related open-source projects, create proofs of concept, develop new ideas, etc.
- A bright, comfortable office, stocked with snacks, good coffee, and even a ping-pong table and cinema :)
Provide us your resume, and be sure to let us know why you’re a great match for this role and for CARTO!
Diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, gender, age, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.