From smartphones to connected cars, location data is changing the way we live and the way business happens. CARTO is the platform that turns location data into more efficient delivery routes, better behavioural marketing, strategic store placements and more.
Everyone, from business analysts to data scientists, use our software and location data to understand where and why things happen, optimize business processes, and predict future outcomes.
Backed by leading VC firms Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, CARTO is poised to lead the Location Intelligence space.
CARTO works with amazing customers like Google, Procter & Gamble, Mastercard, Vodafone, Posterscope, DPD, American Express, T-Mobile, several governments, etc. They basically push our platform to the limit!
What are we looking for
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join our Data Engineering team to work on pioneer projects for data management, visualization and analytics.
Our Data Engineering team owns all the data-related projects at CARTO, also our R&D initiatives about performance optimizations, new proofs of concept, etc.
These are some of the projects we are currently working on:
- BigQuery Tiler: a tileset generator implementation in Google BigQuery
- Data Observatory: a data marketplace and analytics platform
- CARTOframes: a Python library for data visualization and management
- Connectors: a collection of tools to connect the most popular databases
If you love to be in contact with top engineers in geospatial data, this is your place!
The position is open to remote, but you can also work out of our Madrid or Seville offices. If you work remotely, some sporadic trips to Madrid will be required to gather with your coworkers or to attend some relevant events. In any case, no more than 5% of your time.
- Build the next generation geo-analytics platform for developers and data scientists
- Learn about modern data tools and platforms, mapping and geospatial development. Also, if you already have experience in those fields, we’ll be happy to learn from you
- Work in stable and mature products used by top clients around the world
- Create new proofs of concept and develop ideas from scratch
- Communicate periodically with your work team, via Slack and daily meetings
- Help to define, plan and organize work tasks in 2-week iterations with Clubhouse
- Apply good development practices: clean code, testing, documentation, code reviews
- Contribute to open-source projects in GitHub (part of our work is open-sourced!)
- On a periodic basis, you’ll also help to fix issues being part of our Response Team
- Be ready to work and collaborate with engineers from companies like Uber, Microsoft, or Google in data visualization and data analytics projects
- Initiative, a can-do attitude and eagerness to learn! Curiosity, energy and a collaborative mindset (code reviews, pair programming, promote teamwork, succeed together)
- A solid 5+ years experience as a software developer, with a mature approach to the job (git/GitHub, documentation, testing, profiling...)
- 2+ years of experience working with SQL databases. Ideally PostgreSQL
- Affinity for math problems and algorithms
- Fluid communication skills
- A good English level (really!, a big chunk of our communication is in English)
Nice to have
- Knowledge of Python, Jupyter Notebooks and SciPy
- Experience working with geospatial technology. Ideally PostGIS, S2, H3
- Knowledge of high-performance databases and distributed computing
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform
- Competitive, results-based compensation, between 35K-45K€ yearly, plus an annual bonus of up to 10% based on company objectives.
- Contribute to a platform used by top companies around the world. Your work will have a direct impact on our users and clients.
- Access to our Employee Stock Options Plan
- Private Medical Insurance
- Every Friday afternoon is Leapfrog time when you will be working on whatever you like related to CARTO
- The position is open to remote but you can also work from our offices: Madrid or Sevilla
- A bright, comfortable office, stocked with snacks, good coffee, and even a ping-pong table and cinema :)
Do you feel that you don't check all of the requirements? At CARTO we believe that professional development happens through teaching and learning from your peers and managers. Even if you’re uncertain about whether you have the experience we’re looking for, please apply if this position sparks your curiosity.
Diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit our blog or follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).