We are seeking a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) to build, deploy, operate, sustain, and grow a modern ecosystem of cloud-native applications based on Kubernetes. The systems team will drive the stability and sustainability of these next-generation systems and discover innovative ways to scale and operate them reliably as we expand.
The ideal candidate will have a strong technical background, be detail-driven, and have excellent problem-solving abilities. The SRE will also be responsible for systems functionality, performance, and configuration issues. The Site Reliability Engineer will demonstrate a sound knowledge of Unix and Scripting concepts and theory and have experience participating in systems deployment and support with Kubernetes.
*Full Time position - Mid / Senior role.
About the role
In this role, you will work with Systems and Software Engineers to create proactive engineering mechanisms that will enable your team to manage the health of a number of distributed specialised Linux server fleets and the software stacks that run on them. You will deploy and monitor the systems and automation to ensure that regional tooling is operating optimally. You will use trends and metrics to identify opportunities for improvements within existing frameworks, tools, and processes to continuously improve systems.
Our tech stack includes: Groovy/Java, Gradle, Docker, Kubernetes (EKS), Terraform, Go (Golang), Github Actions, Bash, Harbor. Plus we deploy in AWS (VPC, EC2, ECR, Batch).
Your mission will be:
- Enable successful roll-out of Nextflow and Nextflow Tower to customers, including sharing and developing relevant assets, conceptualizing, and engaging during the roll-out of the roadmap.
- Systems analysis: Analyze the technology currently being used and develop plans and processes for improvement and expansion.
- Develop, code, build, install, configure, and maintain DevOps solutions and system deployment automation scripts.
- Participate in project planning meetings to share their knowledge of system options, risk, impact, and costs vs. benefits.
- Deployment: Use configuration management software to automatically deploy updates and fixes into the production environment.
- Maintenance and troubleshooting: Perform routine application maintenance to ensure the production environment runs smoothly. Establish requirements and procedures.
- Recommend performance enhancements by performing gap analysis, identifying alternative solutions, and assisting with modifications
About you. We are looking for someone with:
- Experience with Linux operating system and shell programming.
- Experience with Docker container concepts and toolset ecosystem.
- Advanced knowledge of Kubernetes concepts, model, and operative administration best practices.
- Experience in automation with Terraform or similar technologies.
- Advanced experience with observability, monitoring, and alerting platforms such as cloudwatch, Prometheus stack, stackdriver or alternative.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) or other cloud providers.
- Fluent in written and spoken English (as we communicate in this language)
Nice to have:
- Used to work in a regulated environment.
- Experience managing scaled cloud systems with a focus on operational excellence.
- Experience working with high-availability, distributed systems and services in a hosting environment including hardware, OS, storage, network, and database solutions.
- Experience in the development and rollout of technical operations processes and new services.
- Experience automating software deployments and following a continuous delivery and deployment model.
- Experience with DNS, DHCP, SSH, HTTP, TCP/IP, and other common network protocols.
- Experience with system analysis and troubleshooting in a large-scale Linux environment.
- Experience with database technology, both relational and NoSQL.
- Experience in healthcare, life science, or other enterprise software, technology, or SaaS companies in similar fields.
- Experience working in fast-paced startup environments.
- Experience working with enterprise customers and stakeholders.
Your unique set of skills are:
- Exceptional communication skills, highly organized, collaborative, and detail-oriented.
- Experience building and maintaining relationships.
- Empathetic, positive attitude with a desire to help our customers reach their goals.
- A builder – likes to be part of a core team that is building a new thing from scratch.
- Strong analytical and prioritization skills, with excellent problem-solving abilities in the face of ambiguity
Why join us?
By learning from and with each other, we ensure our ability to drive innovation and make better decisions toward our mission. Most importantly, our culture provides a genuinely fun, inclusive, and challenging environment that will allow you to grow while making a huge difference in human health and beyond.
What will you find working at Seqera Labs?
- Flexible work hours, and remote-friendly culture.
- International working environment with more than 10 nationalities.
- Passionate & talented team.
- Continuous skills development, including budget for training.
- Team retreats and bonding activities.
- A culture where your opinion is valued and your decisions have a real impact on the industry.
- Excitement of a fast-growing startup in a constantly changing environment.
- Great benefits, including private health insurance, mental health app subscription (Oliva), employee equity, and more to come.
At Seqera Labs we develop software that simplifies complex data analysis pipelines. These pipelines are used for the analysis of data like DNA sequences and fMRI in applications spanning research, agritech and the clinic. Our software enables scientists to create and securely deploy their data applications in the cloud or on traditional high-performance computing infrastructure.
We are the leading provider of open source workflow orchestration software: Nextflow. We connect data pipelines, cloud infrastructure and enable collaboration across life sciences, healthcare, imaging and machine learning. Nextflow is used by thousands of organizations of all sizes—from startups to large enterprises— to manage their data analysis and get results fast.
From personalized immunogenic vaccines to sequencing-based diagnostics, Seqera's customers are performing the most critical work on this planet. We believe in a future where scientific applications and massive datasets join forces to deliver incredible outcomes.
You should know
Seqera Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. However you identify or whatever your journey to this point, we welcome all candidates to apply for the position that inspires them. Come join us and help us build a global company that everyone is proud to be part of.
As we scale, we constantly improve our in-office and WFH environments and learn to help everyone have the best setup for our company's success and your personal development, while always keeping the human touch in every aspect of our lives.