Worldreader is looking for an experienced, hands-on senior software engineer with specific expertise in Node.js to plan, coordinate, engineer, and maintain the next generation of Worldreader’s software.
The software team is charged with developing Worldreader products used by more than 500,000 readers every month. These include a web application, multiple Android apps, in-house book management tools and the supporting backends. We use a wide range of technologies including RAILS, node.js, .NET, AWS, Azure, React and Android native. We work at scale, handling over 4M web visitors a month and our redshift database has grown to over 350M rows.
The senior software engineer will have a hand in our backend systems,
be responsible for code health and ongoing evolution, and will take
care of the entire lifecycle of different systems. Most importantly, the
products they will develop are used in the Global South to help
children and adults learn and improve their reading skills.
You are an ideal candidate if you connect with our mission, and have proven experience in implementing web applications across the full stack, including deployment to the cloud.
* Engineering and Information Technology Innovation
* Participate in architecting our next generation tools.
* Develop and maintain major parts of our node app.
* Be the in-house expert in all things Node both language and toolchain.
* Help develop our continuous Integration approach.
* Model and support the streamlining of a unified/consistent coding best
* Four or more years professional experience as a software engineer.
* Proven expertise with node.js including the typical tool chain: npm, grunt/gulp,
* Proven experience successfully building software at scale.
* Experienced with the full application life cycle from design through coding,
testing, deployment and support.
* Proven proficiency and comfort with SQL databases.
* English language proficiency; intermediate or above.
Nice to Have
* Strong understanding of the different layers of a web stack.
* Familiarity with cloud computing (either Azure or AWS).
* Experience with a CI approach to software development.
* Familiarity with Ruby on Rails or .NET.
* Experience in React, Angular or Vue.js.
* Exposure to and comfort with both Azure and AWS.
* Degree/certificate in Software Engineering, Computer Science, or related
>>You must have the necessary work permit and visa requirements prior to
applying for the position. Worldreader does not sponsor visas.
Compensation and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer our staff:
- professional development and training,
- opportunities to travel internationally,
- flexible schedules to accommodate for our international presence, and
- the opportunity to work with talented and passionate people committed to a
world where everyone is a reader.
How To Apply
Email your cover letter, resume to email@example.com with the subject “Senior Software Engineer.” PDFs only and no phone calls, please.