Skyscanner operates in a Tribes and Squads model and we have built an engineering culture where there is a high level of trust, autonomy and transparency. Our engineers work in autonomous squads where they can create their own backlog, ship code whenever they want and don’t have dependencies in order to deliver to the traveller. Our engine uses global scale services, big data and machine learning to assemble, normalise and make sense of real time information from our thousands of partners. Skyscanner can offer you large scale, complex problems where you can reach over 80 million users whilst enjoying a high level of autonomy and influence and a flexible working environment where you can thrive.
Our engineering principles are:
- We have a clear definition of success for every piece of work.
- We ship multiple times a day and deliver customer value week in, week out.
- We use design reviews to validate every significant change.
- We deliver our products using our defined technology standards.
- We peer review every change.
- Our Definitions of Done include being live in production… responsibly.
- You build it, you run it.
Most importantly, these are organic beliefs. We iterate. We learn. We grow. And our principles adapt with us
If you enjoytechnical challenges across internationalisation and localisation at scale then this could be the place where you can utilise your experience to have direct impact on the growth and development of our product. Our globalisation teamsare looking for passionate engineers.
What you can expect as a senior software engineer
- A supportive, trusting and transparent working environment.
- A place to look at things differently and challenge and offer solutions.
- Overall responsibility ofmultiple key product feature components within internalisation and localisation.
- You will define and implement services that make up a complex sub system.
- You will build repeatable, automated processes and shared tooling to enable scalable products' I18n and L10n and reduce the engineering cost of adding new domains support.
- Collaboration across all relevant product engineering development lifecycles.
- An opportunity to learn from the similarly great minds around you
What we are looking for
- Previous job experience as a software engineer ideally within a highly scalable environment.
- Experience building and maintaining localisation tools and working closely with localisation teams
- Knowledge of internationalisation best practices and standards and experience collaborating with other developers to set up internationalisation processes and enablement
- Metrics driven approach to decision making, prioritisation and continuous deployment
- Use of methodologies for continuous delivery and improvement.
- Comfortable balancing trade offs between technical, analytical and product needs.
- Strong customer focus and a focus on impactful work.
- You make others better through code reviews, documentation, technical guidance and mentoring.
- You will work with or lead within your team to break down solutions into small tasks to be completed autonomously.
- It would be useful to have experience in large scale systems deployed to AWS.
- We don’t expect you to be an expert in all of these technologies but would anticipate experience with some, combined with a curiosity for others: Java, Python, Docker, Translation Management Systems...
What else can we offer you……
We also provide for your health with medical insurance, health screening options, gym membership, headspace subscription and an employee assistance programme to support you and your loved ones.
Then it gets really interesting, and you can buy more holiday, donate to a good cause, take part in 2 hackdays per year, and 1 charity day, work from your home country for up to 3 weeks, spend up to 30 days working from another of our offices globally, and you have the option to take part in Skyscanner extended annual leave which is an additional 3 weeks’ break (unpaid) after 3 years’ service or take 5 weeks’ break (paid) after 5 years’ service.For more details on Engineering at Skyscanner you can check our Engineering Blog and follow Skyscanner Engineering on Twitter
- - ‘Skyscanner University’ offers a range of courses for tech and business topics.
- - At Skyscanner there’s no clocking in and there’s no bell at the end of the day, they prefer to give you the freedom and autonomy to do your job, add value and own your work.
- - Better than average annual leave in all office locations.
- - There’s enhanced maternity and paternity leave and a flexible working policy to encourage and enable a healthy work-life balance.