Who we are?
Motorcycle taxis are immensely popular and serve as the lifeblood of many cities in Africa, but they are extremely unsafe and disorganized. At the click of a button, SafeBoda provides a safe, more convenient, mobile-first transportation platform for Africa’s booming young population. Based in Kampala & Nairobi, we are a Series-A funded fast growing ride-hailing platform that is having huge impact for millions in East Africa.
In 2016, we launched our platform on Heroku with a MongoDB, PHP backend with front ends on web, iOS, and Android. In 2018, our daily ride numbers increased 30x. We are now in the process of raising Series B financing and are going to use it to modernize the engineering platform and upgrade our backend technology operations.
We have a passionate and highly engaged team based mainly in East Africa and we are looking to quickly grow the Barcelona team to speed-up the growth and make sure we can build exciting verticals on the SafeBoda platform. We're searching for engineers who are looking for the opportunity to work for an international company, as well as the challenge of being an early member of our Barcelona team.
We are currently migrating our legacy back-end application from PHP to Elixir and breaking the monolith into Elixir umbrella apps. We use Postgres as our main database but use MongoDb for some parts of the application. We cache heavily with Redis. Our web applications are built with Angular but we're slowly moving to Vue.Js. Kotlin and Swift are the language of choice for our Android and iOS apps respectively.
What you will do
- Own your work: lead projects from concept to completion. You’re in control of your own success.
- Build & improve code for new and existing products
- Practice and encourage software engineering best practices: reasonable test coverage, appropriate modularization, designing cohesive interfaces, and making the call on technical trade-offs.
- Collaborate in technical reviews to strengthen our architecture and system designs.
- 6+ years experience in software development
- Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Deep understanding of Android SDK, Java/Kotlin and location-based services
- Shipped one or more Android applications to the Google Play store
- Demonstrated experience producing structured, readable and testable code
- Knowledge of current trends in software design, architecture and web services (especially REST)
- An attitude of accountability and knowledge-sharing—you enjoy reviewing others' code and sharing your knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Excellent communication skills - you can spar with engineers, product owners and other stakeholders
- English language fluency
Nice to have
- Experience with Kotlin
- Knowledge of Reactive Extentions (Rx)
- Experience with MVVM architecture
- Be part of a passionate team that is changing the mobility landscape in Africa.
- Employee stock-option plan
- Opportunity to travel to East Africa and interact with the product and our multi-cultural team.
- We believe that distance is not a barrier to build a great company culture - we replicate our last Friday of the months drinks at our different offices and can't wait to have our first inter-continent ping-pong tournament.