Our vision is to be the most trusted and most used online travel brand in the world.
Travel is one of the great joys in life, yet online travel is broken. At Skyscanner we are a tech company that operates in travel, so as such, building and shipping products is our core business. We are dedicated to solving the travel needs of our friends, family, and the world. With more than 60M monthly users across more than 30 countries, our products have a truly global impact.
Our Engineering Team
Our Engineers are truly empowered; we hire the best and trust them to do the right thing.
We are the people who use tech to take you to new and undiscovered places. We are the people who challenge convention and use imagination, technology and tenacity to find better and more efficient solutions for our users.
We are the Code Voyagers. We are the engineers at Skyscanner and we are transforming the travel industry. If you’d like to join us on the journey to the future, here are a few things you’ll experience once on board.
The need for speed
We are an engineering team of agile, fast moving voyagers where A/B testing is the norm and bug fixes can be deployed in a matter of hours. We introduced Squads and Tribes to re-create the conditions of a fast moving, small and empowered start up, but for a company of hundreds. It optimises us for speed, impact and growth.
With each experiment there are endless possibilities to change our whole roadmap and monitor our whole progress on our missions. Some of our key successes of squadification building software at scale allow us to release up to 80 times per day.
Masters of Code
Through collaboration and the free exchange of ideas, we ensure that we are experts in a range of technologies, from Android and AWS to Spark and Swift – and everything in between.
Our philosophy is based on gathering and sharing knowledge. The ethos is supported by regular internal and external Tech Talks, talkbacks, hack days, innovation sessions, workshops, off sites and knowledge transfer. Rotations give our people a broad range of experiences which makes squad life stimulating and career progression transparent and instantly rewarding.
About this role
As a Senior Principal Engineer, you will be responsible for ….
- Technical leadership and technology expert for your tribe and related domain, along with participation in design reviews.
- Work with the tribe and its Product Owners to clarify, elaborate, and iterate on the tribe’s technology roadmap and designs.
- Engage with the tribe and its squads to help them move faster, more efficiently, and at high quality in a continuous delivery manner.
- Proactively identify issues and opportunities and collaborate with other tribes and functions to achieve positive outcomes in processes and code quality.
- Personal development, mentoring and growth of junior principal engineers in the tribe to encourage, support and enable them to achieve their full potential.
- Delegate responsibility where applicable and engage in participative decision-making to empower the tribe.
- Join with other senior technical leaders in guiding company-wide technology initiatives, principles and practices.
Qualifications and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science or similar with a proven track record of success as a Senior Engineering Lead (or comparable) in a web economy organisation (or another highly scalable technical environment e.g. streaming, messaging).
- Proven track record:
- leading large organizations in complex technical scenarios to successful completion, resulting in significant business impact.
- of using agile/lean methodologies for continuous delivery and improvement.
- leading one or more groups with multiple teams.
- Product-oriented, customer-focused emphasis on rapid delivery of value to production.
- Experience with large scale, large volume technical solutions deployed to AWS.
- Experience with service orchestration systems (Borg, Kubernetes, et al), virtualization and distributed systems platforms (Docker, Mesos, etc.)
- Previous experience with one or more of the following technologies: Java, Python, NoSQL databases, distributed workflow (Hadoop/Spark), machine learning, SQL, Elastic Search.
- Recent coding experience with mastery of one or more programming language.
- Track record of innovation (patent portfolio, previous entrepreneurship, etc.)
- - ‘Skyscanner University’ offers a range of courses for tech and business topics.
- - At Skyscanner there’s no clocking in and there’s no bell at the end of the day, they prefer to give you the freedom and autonomy to do your job, add value and own your work.
- - Better than average annual leave in all office locations.
- - There’s enhanced maternity and paternity leave and a flexible working policy to encourage and enable a healthy work-life balance.