Motorway is reinventing how cars are bought and sold online.
Our vision is to improve the experience for all car sales and purchases, through best-in-class technology and a focus on empowering people through transparency.
In 2017 we launched the first comparison website for selling your car. With just a few taps, motorists can compare live offers for their car, select their best deal and sell it within 24 hours. In 2018 we launched our premium marketplace, connecting sellers directly with hundreds of specialist car dealers across the UK.
*About the role*
This is a varied role, where you’ll work on everything from architecting new features to performance optimisation, and on apps designed for consumers through to expert users.
It’s an opportunity to join a fast-growing startup in the early stages, build amazing products with a high degree of influence, and change an industry.
*Your responsibilities will include:*
• Developing the code and business logic for the backend platform that powers the whole business
• Organising and structuring platform code to make it highly efficient, maintainable and reusable
• Working with third party APIs and web services (REST, SOAP, etc) to provide real-time valuations and submit vehicle and customer information to car buyers
• Working with our data layer (PostgreSQL & Redis), helping to make changes to the schema and creating tools and reports to help us understand our performance
• Working with our infrastructure (currently Heroku and AWS) to scale as we grow, and provide the highest possible performance
• Working in our flat-structured development team, and getting involved in the technical and product strategy of the business
• Working closely with front-end, design and product teams to support client apps
• Championing and implementing software development best practices to ensure our code is high quality, well-tested, scalable and secure
You’ll perform this role across all our collection of microservices (node.js with Express and Sequelize) that power our user-facing applications through RESTful APIs.
*What we’re looking for*
🎓A degree in Computer Science; or a maths, science or engineering subject
💼At least four years of commercial experience working with web apps, websites and APIs in a production environment
🗄Experience working with relational databases (we use PostgreSQL) and NoSQL databases (we use Redis and ElasticSearch), including complex queries and performance optimisation
⚙️Experience configuring, deploying and monitoring apps and websites on PaaS services such as Heroku or AWS
🛠Experience working with version control (we use Git and GitHub), automated testing and continuous integration
🤸Experience of agile software development practices and working collaboratively in a team environment
💬Good written and verbal communication skills
❤️A passion for technology and software, demonstrated by personal projects, blog posts or contributions to open source projects
😀 A can-do attitude with a willingness to work hard, both on your own and as part of a team
🚀 Ambition to develop and be the best at what you do
*What we offer*
Join the Motorway team and you will:
• Be part of a rapidly growing startup at the early stage
• Have a competitive salary and equity package
• Have the opportunity for fast career progression
• Build products that will change an entire industry
• Work remotely, enabling you to manage your time and working style
• Develop your skills and experience rapidly, and get ongoing training and support
• Work with people that are passionate about what they do
• Have the opportunity for paid visits to our offices in London, UK