Are you interested in languages, education and technology and want to work in one of the world's best EdTech startups? Then join us and be part of an ambitious and talented team that revolutionises how we learn languages.
Busuu is the app that makes learning a language easier for everyone and proves that learning a language must not be done in a classroom.
We are the world's largest language learning community with over 100 million users from 190 countries, growing at up to 50,000 new users per day. We make learning a language easy by combining AI-powered courses with instant feedback from our global community of native speakers and live tutoring from qualified teachers across the world.
If you are passionate about languages, want to work with smart, creative, energetic people and possess the initiative, confidence and good judgement to make independent decisions every day - then you are probably the perfect addition for our growing team.
What does a Backend Engineer do at Busuu?
You’ll have the opportunity to be at the centre of our biggest and most exciting phase yet, making big decisions that will help you grow and define your career as a Software Engineer. You’ll ship code often, support it all the way to production, and work with our web/mobile engineers and product teams to ensure a joined up experience for our users.
Our APIs are split into services, our APIs are split into services, the majority of our APIs are Symfony based, however we have a few written in NodeJS
As a Backend Engineer, you’ll be key to us releasing high quality, bug free software daily. We love to ship often and fast, and you'll be key to ensuring we are running at maximum efficiency to deliver for the business and our users.
What we’re looking for in a Backend Engineer
- Excellent knowledge of PHP/OOP and experience with a modern web framework (we use Symfony 3/4). Node.js experience is a plus.
- Good experience of data modelling and performance optimisation using relational databases (we use MySQL and PostgreSQL).
- Solid knowledge of REST API design.
- Exposure to the architecture of high traffic web platforms.
- Experience with testing methodologies, performance debugging and benchmarking.
Being a part of Busuu - How do things work:
We are acutely aware that we are in unprecedented times and like all companies we need to adapt to this in order to safeguard our Busuu community. In order to do this we are constantly reviewing the government guidelines and adapting accordingly to accommodate the physical and mental wellbeing of our employees. In the current global climate, some of our team events are virtual and some of our benefits have been amended.
At Busuu we want to ensure that you have access to some great benefits:
- We have an amazing office which is available for you to work from if you would like to do so, this is completely optional at the moment in the current environment. If you would like to be in the office we have put in place lots of important social distancing practices to ensure you are safe to meet with your colleagues in person
- The office is well-equipped with free breakfast, plenty of snacks, fresh fruit and free dinner of your choice if you need to stay late
- Social interaction is really important to us so we have lots of remote activities for you to join into such as team events, socials, online weekly quiz, etc
- Their is a personal training budget just for you, so you can learn more in your field, attend virtual conferences and events that you find interesting
- We have a subscription with Perkbox which has great additional benefits for you to choose from
- To keep you active and help your mindfulness we offer weekly virtual yoga sessions
- Busuu offers a great private health insurance scheme
- You can also join our company pension with contributions from Busuu
- We like to support our teams with their work life balance so we offer flexible working hours
- We offer enhanced maternity and paternity leave
What happens next
We aim to have a simple and speedy hiring process and we want to make sure that we are right for you as much as the other way around. The hiring process for Backend Engineering is the following steps:
- CV application review - We will review it as quickly as possible
- Let’s chat - Quick chat with our recruiter about your experience and the role
- A video call - Technical call with the hiring managers
- Technical test - We will send you a technical test to complete in your time
- Interview - 1.5 hour technical interview and task review with the Backend team
- Culture fit interview - 1h hour call with the Engineering Manager
Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. We pride ourselves on embracing our differences, whether they're cultural, racial, religious or otherwise. This means each one of us comes to work knowing that we have a voice – and a safe, judgement-free zone to speak freely.
If you like the sound of that, join us. We'd love to hear what you have to say.