Do you want to design, build and maintain code and infrastructure that lets 30 million users play?
Poki is an online playground with millions of users around the world. We bring fun games to kids of all ages, while helping game developers achieve success on web and mobile. Our roots are on the web, but we're expanding to bring fun to our users on all platforms. We're looking for an experienced back-end developer to join our Amsterdam office. Are you interested in building the foundation that will help us grow to 100 million users and beyond? Then read on!
Do you recognize yourself in the following?
I’m self-motivated and highly responsible – I thrive on freedom
I enjoy working in a dynamic and agile environment
I'm always open to new ideas, perspectives and solutions
I’m eager to learn, and love to share
I'd love to work with a fun, informal and diverse bunch of people
Then we are looking for you!
As a Senior Back-End Developer, you will be joining our experienced development team, and be responsible for the infrastructure and code powering a game platform that brings fun to tens millions of users. You'll build features in Go and continuously deploy to our high-performance microservice infrastructure on AWS. You own your microservices, so we're willing let you experiment with other languages from time to time as well.
Support, develop and enhance our highly available / scaleable cloud agnostic infrastructure.
- Create microservices in Go and Node.js. Experiment with other technologies as you see fit.
- Design, build and maintain the new backend of the Poki Platform, allowing it to grow from 30 million to 100 million monthly active users and beyond.
Maintain stability and scalability of an infrastructure handling over 100,000 concurrent active users.
- Unify our code base and separate front and backend with low-latency web API’s.
- Build and continuously deploy features for tens of millions of users around the world.
- Work with large sets of data and contribute to our machine-learning recommendation algorithms.
- Microservices on Google Cloud Engine.
- We just switched from PHP to Go on the back-end
- React and Redux on the front-end, Node.js for server-side rendering
- Gitlab for CI, unit tests and deployment
- Docker for containers
- Kubernetes for cluster orchestration
- Prometheus w/ Grafana for monitoring
- Cassandra NoSQL distributed database
Have 5+ years of professional programming experience, and a lot longer than that as a hobby.
Have a deep understanding of modern-day web technologies.
Feel comfortable working on the command line.
hands-on experience with cloud infrastructure technologies, including
continuous integration tools such as Gitlab, systems monitoring and
alerting with tools such as AWS Cloudwatch and Elasticsearch.
Have a solid understanding of design patterns and MVC frameworks.
Have a “more effort now to save effort later” mentality.
Have a passion for outstanding results, not just clean code.
Have a master’s degree or equivalent level of critical thinking.
Have excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal.
Are based in The Netherlands, preferably around Amsterdam.
with Go and Node.js would be cool, but we believe any good programmer
can easily pick up a new language. Your skills, smarts and vision are
way more important.
- Open-source project contributions
A competitive salary
State of the art equipment
Work in a fun, friendly and informal environment
A workplace that respects developer productivity
A diverse, talented and self-motivated team
The opportunity to contribute to our strategy with your technical expertise
A chance to build your career with our fast-growing company
- No formal hierarchy and a lot of personal responsibility and freedom
Official website, founding date, employees, how did it all begin... Do you know the whole story?Tell Us!