XING provides advice and support to its more than 19 million members during the upheaval processes in the world of work. In an environment marked by a shortage of skilled workers, digitalization, and changes in values, XING helps its members achieve as harmonious a work/life balance as possible: For a better working life.
(Senior) Backend Developer (m/f/d)
We believe in a world of work where people can find their true self and achieve their full potential. This not only makes individuals more satisfied and happier, it also makes companies more successful.
While most of our products focus on the German speaking market, our development teams are collaborating from 6 offices across Europe. Our working culture is international, our working language English and you will find a technology-driven environment that enables you to grow professionally.
Our working environment:
Doing engineering at our scale is a significant and rewarding technical challenge. Our production system consists of +180 services of different sizes, posing plenty of challenges.
Some of our team’s main tasks
- Migrating our existing Ruby on Rails monolith into Microservices,
- Shaping the architecture of a very complex system.
- Insights driven team and using monitoring and metrics to base your decisions.
The tools we use
- CI/CD pipelines using Jenkins and deployed to Kubernetes clusters.
- Kafka and RabbitMQ as message queues, the former is now increasingly used for event-driven systems.
- Different databases for different needs: MySQL, Postgres...
- GraphQL (implemented in Scala & Sangria) for our mobile and web APIs.
You should have experience with at least two of them. But don't worry if you don't know the rest. You can expand your knowledge at Xing.
A convincing background
- You bring at least 3+ years of production experience in Ruby on Rails OR Python/Django OR Node.js (our platform is built on Ruby on Rails).
- You write testable, predictable and simple code.
- You have a structured and organized approach to problems.
- You enjoy software architecture.
- You want to tackle the engineering challenges that come with building systems at scale
- You have worked on a highly available, low latency and high throughput environment.
- You are familiar with event-driven architectures.
- You have experience with Kafka
- You are curious and interested in learning new languages and frameworks.
- You have a good sense of humour and keep calm in difficult situations.
- You value transparency, honesty, humility and helping your teammates grow.
An inspiring environment
Check our Twitter account! https://twitter.com/NewWork_es
- The New Work SE offers a dynamic environment, as well as flexible working hours. Heading to more flexibility of working remotely, our New Mobile Office 50% policy combines both – more flexibility in working outside our Offices & face-to-face collaboration.
- The chance to work on a large, highly distributed platform with over 18 million users
- Varied tasks, uncomplicated interactions with your colleagues as well as many opportunities to bring in your own ideas.
- Innovation/hack weeks every few months where you can unleash your creativity and ideas.
- Budget allocated for training, conferences and many opportunities to learn, experiment and grow.
- Restaurant tickets, coffee and snacks.
- Spanish / English/ German lessons.
- A mobile device of your choice (iPhone, iPad, Android…).
- A great, multicultural and diverse environment.
- A referral bonus for recommending talent to our company
- Want to bring your pet to the office? No problem at NEW WORK
- A sunny office located in the centre of Barcelona, with a large terrace.
- Flexible Compensation Plan: Health insurance/ Transport/ Nursery Tickets
- Extended holidays (26+4+2!)
- Competitive salary and a Permanent contract
- Bicycle park and package reception
- Relocation pack if needed.
We contribute into open source https://github.com/xing and let the world know what we are doing (https://devblog.xing.com) and organize public user groups and coding events. Check out our XING engineering blog at https://tech.xing.com/.
We're looking forward to hearing from you!