As the largest social network for language learning in the world we’ve already had some great success, but there is so much more that we want to build and improve on. We’re looking for smart, agile, independent engineers who can help us take our Android apps to the next level, providing more amazing ways for our users to interact with one another and further improve their learning. You'll be someone who loves the user experience, can build beautiful and efficient apps and isn’t afraid to share opinions on the best way to design the APIs they’ll be consuming.
Our project is based on Clean Architecture architecture and MVP. Working in an agile team (Scrum), we like to brainstorm during problem solving, and like seeing green bars when running Unit Tests. Our code base is 40% Kotlin at the moment and we make use of Dependency Injection and libraries such as Retrofit, Dagger 2, RxJava, Room, Butterknife, Mockito and others. But we’re always open to change and the best tool for the job should be the one we’re using.
We’ve got users spread all over the world. You’ll need to think not just about the latest technology, but also how our users, who may not be using the latest and greatest devices, will interact with our product.
Why is an Android Engineer important at Busuu?
The Android platform is the fastest growing mobile platform in the world, especially in the emerging markets that we count among our biggest countries. Android at Busuu is growing faster than ever, leading the switch to mobile in greater and greater numbers. We’re live in more than 40 countries across the world and we want to keep adding to that and to the features that we’re bringing to our millions of users. The reach and impact that our Android app has across the world, is to enrich users lives through easy access to language learning, meaning it is incredibly important to us to continue to build extraordinary Android applications that are accessible to everyone.
What does an Android Engineer do at Busuu?
As an Android Engineer, you’ll be working on our flagship and region specific apps, shipping to over 40 countries throughout the world in over 10 languages, offering our users a huge variety of languages to learn from. You’ll think about how users interact with our learning experience, how to help them learn better and faster and then build an experience that everyone can enjoy learning with.
You’ll work on brand new and existing features, shipping often and supporting your application all the way to production and beyond. You’ll work with an amazing, experienced team of Android engineers, and think about the entire life cycle of the application, from architecture to automated testing. We’re not afraid to do the right thing, refactoring when necessary while at the same time ensuring that we’re shipping new features to consumers as fast as possible.
What makes a great Android Engineer at Busuu?
- Professional Android development experience, with a history of shipping Android apps
- Previous involvement in entire app development lifecycle, from project creation through coding & QA to app store deployment
- Knowledge in unit testing in Android (Mockito would be perfect)
- Good foundation in Android UI principles. You will be working with a UX team, but your suggestions and design ideas will be appreciated and considered
- Understanding of web services and REST APIs
- Deep appreciation of mobile development practices and Android app optimisation
- Good understanding of Android app architecture and use of design patterns
- Strong OO & Java skills, some experience with Kotlin with an appreciation for pragmatism and simplicity in code
- An instinct for excellent app design and user experience
Being a part of Busuu - How do things work:
We are acutely aware that we are in unprecedented times and like all companies we need to adapt to this in order to safeguard our Busuu community. In order to do this we are constantly reviewing the government guidelines and adapting accordingly to accommodate the physical and mental wellbeing of our employees. In the current global climate, some of our team events are virtual and some of our benefits have been amended.
At Busuu we want to ensure that you have access to some great benefits:
- We have an amazing office which is available for you to work from if you would like to do so, this is completely optional at the moment in the current environment. If you would like to be in the office we have put in place lots of important social distancing practices to ensure you are safe to meet with your colleagues in person
- The office is well-equipped with free breakfast, plenty of snacks, fresh fruit and free dinner of your choice if you need to stay late
- Social interaction is really important to us so we have lots of remote activities for you to join into such as team events, socials, online weekly quiz, etc
- Their is a personal training budget just for you, so you can learn more in your field, attend virtual conferences and events that you find interesting
- We have a subscription with Perkbox which has great additional benefits for you to choose from
- To keep you active and help your mindfulness we offer weekly virtual yoga sessions
- Busuu offers a great private health insurance scheme
- You can also join our company pension with contributions from Busuu
- We like to support our teams with their work life balance so we offer flexible working hours
- We offer enhanced maternity and paternity leave
What happens next
We aim to have a simple and speedy hiring process and we want to make sure that we are right for you as much as the other way around. The hiring process for Android Engineer is the following steps:
- CV application review - We will review it as quickly as possible
- Let’s chat - Quick chat with our recruiter about your experience and the role
- A video call - 40-minute call with the hiring manager
- Interview - 1-2 hour pair-programming interview with the team
Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. We pride ourselves on embracing our differences, whether they're cultural, racial, religious or otherwise. This means each one of us comes to work knowing that we have a voice – and a safe, judgement-free zone to speak freely.
If you like the sound of that, join us. We'd love to hear what you have to say.