Skyscanner is a leading global travel search site and app, a place where people are inspired to plan and book direct from millions of travel options at the best prices. We employ over 1,000 staff across eleven offices globally, and, having reached market leader status, we were recently acquired by Chinese online travel company Ctrip in a deal valued at £1.4bn. While we remain operationally independent, our acquisition by Ctrip allows us to take the business to the next level of accelerated global growth. It’s a hugely exciting time for Skyscanner and the over 80m people who use us every month. We are unbiased and free, and our secret is in our unique proprietary technology that connects people directly to everything the travel industry has to offer. Our engineering principles are:
- We have a clear definition of success for every piece of work.
- We ship multiple times a day and deliver customer value week in, week out.
- We use design reviews to validate every significant change.
- We deliver our products using our defined technology standards.
- We peer review every change.
- Our Definitions of Done include being live in production… responsibly.
- You build it, you run it.
Most importantly, these are organic beliefs. We iterate. We learn. We grow. And our principles adapt with us
We’re building some really great tooling, with deploy pipelines out of the box to get moving quickly and exploring server side/hybrid rendering strategies for our iOS and Android apps as well as looking at ReactNative.
Do you relish in technical leadership? Would you consider yourself an authority in your domain? Can you enable teams to move faster, smarter and more efficiently in a continuous delivery manner? If you enjoy collaboratively guiding company wide technology initiatives and principles, then this could be the role for you.
What you can expect as a principal mobile engineer
- A supportive, trusting and transparent working environment.
- A place to look at things differently and challenge and offer solutions.
- Overall responsibility to clarify, elaborate and iterate on Skyscanner’s technology roadmap and designs.
- The opportunity for personal development, growth/mentoring of engineers and influence across the business.
- Collaboration across all relevant product engineering development lifecycles.
What we are looking for
- Previous job experience as a senior engineering lead or comparable, ideally within a product technology company.
- Evidence of leading large organisations in complex technical scenarios to successful completion, resulting in significant business impact.
- Use of various methodologies for continuous delivery and improvement.
- Leading one or more groups with multiple teams.
- Product-oriented, customer-focused emphasis on rapid delivery of value to production.
- Comfortable balancing technical direction with the business value needed factoring into solutions multiple constraints such as scale, distribution, costs, users, patterns.
- You will obsess over ensuring value for travellers, partners and Skyscanner through our technology.
- You are an advocate for iterative software delivery and world class engineering, demonstrating best practice.
- It would be useful to have experience in large scale systems deployed to AWS.
- Previous experience with one or more of the following technologies: Objective-C, Java, Swift, Fastlane, Gradle, Microservices, Docker, Drone, AWS, SQL, Python, Elasticsearch - recent coding experience with mastery of one or more programming language
- - ‘Skyscanner University’ offers a range of courses for tech and business topics.
- - At Skyscanner there’s no clocking in and there’s no bell at the end of the day, they prefer to give you the freedom and autonomy to do your job, add value and own your work.
- - Better than average annual leave in all office locations.
- - There’s enhanced maternity and paternity leave and a flexible working policy to encourage and enable a healthy work-life balance.