We are looking for a Principal iOS Engineer (full-time) to join our office in Berlin, Germany.
Who we are
With millions of regular users and more than 9000 hours of premium content, Babbel.com is growing fast while shaping the future of learning. We defined the market for online language learning, and today our product is available worldwide across multiple platforms. We're on an exciting new journey to change the way people learn languages. Our diverse team is at the forefront of the user journey, supporting the marketing department to promote our product. Using innovative marketing technologies, iterative development methods, and empirical data, we work to continuously optimise our product and processes.
How we work
Our team is organized in full-stack features teams. That means that our teams do everything from concept, UX/UI to analytics and DB, and of course web development. We create our product in an agile manner, and have dynamic and a fast growing team. We are continuously trying to identify problems and optimizing our agile engineering and management practices.
Who are we looking for
As an Principal iOS Engineer you will work closely with our iOS developers who work in feature teams.
You will support the iOS engineers in architectural decisions, giving guidance in establishing good patterns and coding guidelines.
While you will work outside the teams you will be in close contact with them, supporting the iOS developers on actual user stories on a regular basis, but also implement technical stories individually.
You will oversee pull requests coming from the teams and ensure that the overall iOS code base is kept in a tested and maintainable state following the principles of clean code.
Your responsibilities also include staying on top of newest development in the iOS community. This includes evaluating new trends, new APIs, useful libraries and frameworks with regards to their contribution to the code-base and the product.
You are self-driven and capable of self-organising, balancing individual work with work in teams and with other stakeholders where you show a great skill in not only creating value, but also alignment on ongoing topics.
As a Technical contact person your knowledge will not be limited to the iOS platform, but you will have a good technical overview and understanding of the product architecture and infrastructure.
- 2 years of experience with Swift
- 3+ years of experience with Objective-C
- Very solid knowledge and application of software design patterns
- Strong focus on code quality by applying clean code principles
- Writing tests and testable code is essential part of coding routine
- Hands-on experience with most common iOS architectures (MVC, MVVM, VIPER)
- Experienced in long term maintenance of complex code bases and handling of legacy code
- Published apps in the App Store
- Familiarity with RESTful APIs
- Familiarity with continuous integration
- Proficiency in code versioning with git
- Experience in technically leading and coaching a small team
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Great communicative skills
- The potential to change the way of learning for millions of users worldwide
- Responsibility from day one and professional and personal growth
- Potential within a fast growing team
- Participate in hackdays, technology brown-bags
- A lively startup atmosphere with friendly working hours
- Long-term prospects
- A vibrant international team from over 36 different nationalities
- Excellent working conditions with a location in the heart of the Berlin scene
- Great company benefits (High-End company bike, fresh fruits & drinks, Hackathons etc.)
Official website, founding date, employees, how did it all begin... Do you know the whole story?Tell Us!