It's our job to understand and serve the Just Eat customer. Who are the people that come to Just Eat to buy their meals online? What do they need? What can we do to make their experiences better? Our Technology department is revolutionising the way people interact with food online every day by exploring new channels, such as voice-controlled ordering and virtual reality. Our team also collaborates with other internal departments to make sure our products and tech are tailor made from top insights and industry expertise.
On an average day we expect to handle at least 17 million API requests from both public and internal consumers. Our growth rate has had a huge effect on our technical direction creating an interesting set of challenges for us, and as a consequence we are now one of the biggest users of Amazon Web Services in the Europe. Behind the simple facade of our consumer facing products sit a wealth of APIs, search algorithms and B2B services that we are continuously evolving.
We don’t divide responsibility for development and operation of our platform, so you and your team will support the changes you make all the way through to operating successfully in production at peak times.
Our product development teams are growing because we have a huge number of ideas of how to improve the experience customers and restaurants have. As a Principal Engineer you will need to play a key role in turning those ideas into reality. Your key areas of focus:
- Trusted authority and specialist - The Principal will be a trusted authority and specialist in one or more technology areas of critical importance to JUST EAT. They will be someone that members and managers of other teams turn to for advice and guidance.
- COG leadership - The Principal will act as the leader of one or more Coherence and Ownership Groups (COGs) to provide a strategy and roadmap, which works in cooperation with functional teams to deliver on current and future objectives.
- Continuous improvement - The Principal will ensure that their discipline continuously improves by initiating new processes and practices. They will then use their influence, and the respect others hold them in, to have them implemented more widely across teams.
- Consultancy - The Principal will provide consultancy to any of the Technology teams where required. As part of this they may be called upon during acquisitions, partnerships and divestments, to participate in due diligence activities relating to their discipline.
- Recruitment - The Principal will participate in the recruitment within their discipline, including sitting on panels and setting and reviewing tests.
- Coaching and mentoring - The Principal will provide coaching and mentoring to other professionals within their discipline. They will also shape and deliver elements of the induction for new practitioners in their discipline as they join the company.
- Innovation - The Principal will identify innovation opportunities related to their discipline and will promote these to the Directors, Heads and Managers of Technology.
- Communicate - The Principal will evangelise the work of their team to other teams and potentially publically (blogs / speaking etc). The Principal communicates across many levels of the company, and also externally, in a clear, concise manner.
- Professional Development - The Principal actively looks for opportunities to develop their skills and knowledge using internal and external sources. The Principal keeps up to date with latest industry blogs. The Principal is an active and driving member of the specific Coherence and Ownership Groups (COGs) and may be the COG lead.
Required skills and experience
C# and ASP.Net MVC
AWS or similar cloud experience
SQL and NoSQL databases (we use SQL Server and DynamoDB, but others are fine)
Knowledge of design patterns and engineering best practices, including IoC and dependency injection
Designing and developing systems for high availability and scalability, using webservice APIs, message queues and event driven services
Writing automated tests
Continuous Integration / Delivery
Code reviews and design reviews
Mentoring / coaching other developers
Agile Scrum / Kanban
Support what you deploy (DevOps)
About Just Eat