carwow makes choosing and buying your perfect car easy and enjoyable. By comparing the best offers from our top local and national dealers, you get the car you want, from the dealer you like best, at a price that’s right for you.
We’re a driven, energetic startup with a team of 180+ based in London, Munich and Paris. We are backed by some of Europe’s leading VCs and have raised over £48m in funding since we launched, so we’re growing fast. We've just been ranked 6th in the Financial Times' Top 1000 Fastest Growing Companies in Europe. We’re relentlessly driven and constantly asking ourselves how we can make carwow better. If you’re proactive, motivated, and want to help us change the future of car buying, get in touch. It’s the chance to be at the start of something huge.
We are looking to hire a Managing Director for the UK to ensure that our largest market continues to grow at a fast and sustainable rate. The UK is the largest part of carwow’s revenues so it’s a critical role for the company’s success, and will allow other members of the Exec team to focus more time on launching new markets and initiatives.
This role will own the P+L for the UK; leading the large sales and account management teams, with very strong influence into marketing, product and the strategic direction of the company.
The ideal candidate will be a natural leader, with a diverse skill set including; team management and leadership, a strong understanding of finance and revenue tracking / forecasting, salesmanship and a solid understanding of marketplace dynamics.
What you'll be doing
- Reporting to the COO and engaging regularly with the Exec team (which this role will join) and the Board on UK performance
- Ensuring our operational teams are structured, trained and incentivised to ensure strong supply-side growth, and delivering great customer experience to both dealers and consumers
- Take ownership of UK marketing budget and work closely with CMO and marketing teams to ensure marketing activities and spend are aligned with UK business performance targets
- Represent carwow externally as a lead figure in the UK business
- Evolving and tailoring our pricing and proposition to UK dealers
- Working closely with product teams, both on improving the core new car product and on new initiatives
- Sharing learnings and best practices with the international country managers
What you'll need
- Experience being a GM, Country Manager, MD or equivalent for an online marketplace, at a country or continent level with P&L (or revenue and marketing spend) responsibility
- Experience in running large sales and account management teams (50+ people), covering both SME and Enterprise clients
- Strong leadership qualities and the ability to inspire and motivate teams
- Proven track record of delivering against targets and objectives
- Experience in working with a high-growth digital business
- Strong understanding of marketplace dynamics and experience of developing deep understanding of customers on both sides of the marketplace
- Strong understanding of the role and dynamics of performance marketing
- Strong academic background
- Exceptional problem-solving and analytical ability
- Strong leader who excels in motivating and developing teams
- Strategic thinker with a bias for action
- Structured and organised approach to tracking and communicating performance
We offer a wide range of benefits, these include:
- A competitive salary
- Equity in the company
- A dog-friendly office in Victoria, with free refreshments and a variety of breakout spaces
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- 5 days additional holiday for new parents a year, for their children’s first 3 years
- Sanctus mental health coaching
- Flexible working hours with the opportunity to work from home one day a week
- Monthly company-wide socials, Friday drinks and an annual ski trip
- A generous annual training budget for you to spend on your personal development
- carwow fitness and well-being groups open to everyone in the office. These include activities such as yoga, netball, football, dodgeball, and tennis