We are looking for a talented Linux Engineer with a passion for open source technologies to join our systems engineering team. Our global team is responsible for a server farm of 2000 servers scattered around the world on 40 different locations. The Linux engineer's primary responsibilities will be building, improving, and maintaining the complex Linux infrastructure environment.
Since innovation is key at Flow Traders, you will get a lot of freedom to constantly improve our set up. If kernel and performance tuning is your passion, challenge yourself to extract those last microseconds from the trading servers. If you are into configuration management, you get to improve and expand our Puppet, Hiera and Foreman setup. Continuous delivery is an important part of our team’s responsibilities, as this is essential to stay ahead of the curve, while assuring a robust trading environment. Finally, because of our constantly evolving IT landscape, you will be triggered to focus on automation a lot, as it will help to get you out of the office before 8 PM once in a while.
Day in a life:
When you get in, you should already be aware if there are serious operational issues by our monitoring systems. You check the infoboard for issues affecting trading to see if you can help out. After grabbing a coffee and checking your email, you start planning your day. You can be working on deploying new releases of our applications, writing Puppet manifests, or further tuning our optimized Linux kernel. As our IT landscape is constantly evolving at a fast pace, you will probably be working on one or more longer term projects as well. It can be about setting up automated testing, setting up new servers globally for a new set of applications required for compliance, or further automate our monitoring setup. Because you often need to work outside business hours, you can make use of the cool arcade games in our gaming room or play a game of pool if work allows for it. You can even do a workout at our gym if you want, but who are we kidding? After a usual quite busy day, you can unwind at the Flow bar to catch up with your colleagues.
- Bachelor or Master degree in Computer Science;
- Extensive experience building out configuration management tools, preferably Puppet;
- Proven working experience in a complex Linux infrastructure environment with in-depth knowledge of Linux distributions and network related skills; DNS, DHCP, routing & switching, multicast, etc.;
- Excellent scripting skills in Python, Bash, Ruby, or Perl;
- Experience with Continuous Delivery;
- Ability to work with version control systems (preferably git);
- Feeling perfectly at home within complex Windows environment is a big plus;
- Knowledge of NAS and SAN;
- Attracted to the dynamics of the financial markets;
- Able to travel to Flow Traders offices around the world periodically;
- Fluent in English.
- Experience in setting up and maintaining monitoring systems (Centreon, Nagios, SolarWinds);
Flow Traders offers you an exciting job and lots of opportunities within the most dynamic of environments with an excellent compensation package. We like to think that talent grows at Flow and stays at Flow. To ensure this, we provide our employees with the best working environment, the latest technology, continuous support, and we go out of our way to retain the small business feeling with which we started. We offer a competitive salary and reserve a percentage of our business results for our bonus pool.
Flow Traders grew to be as successful as we are today out of the expertise and experience of our founding partners. Our non-hierarchical approach stimulates innovation and achievement. We invest in our talented, highly motivated people since they hold the key to our success. Our demanding, sophisticated work continuously puts us to the test. We wouldn't have it any other way. We. Love. This. Job.