Who are we looking for?
You need to be the kind of person who finds the idea of responsibility and radical means of working exciting rather than terrifying. You are interested in picking up and learning new technologies and are keen to learn as much as possible. You need to be prepared to ask challenging questions of yourself and others (why are we doing it this way? Why are we doing it at all? If I can prove this is easier, will you folks try it this way?). You should have a highly developed sense of collaboration – doesn’t mean you need to be a touchy-feely extrovert, but that you are prepared to share information, ideas and support.
What’s the role?
This role is Operational in nature, but with a DevOps bias, and has plenty of interest and scope. This includes creating, designing and improving existing operational infrastructure. This will involve provisioning IT systems in both Cloud and Hosted (hybrid) environments, using automated provisioning and configuration management tools.
You will be responsible for all aspects of the operational systems including availability, reliability, performance, monitoring and security. Additional responsibilities include overall health monitoring and regular systems maintenance tasks - with efficient use of automation. We have high standards for our computer systems as well as our employees: our systems are secure, reliable, and available, and must function at scale; our employees are super smart, driven to serve customers, and fun to work with.
Required Technical Skills:
With a DevOps bias, you will be able to show experience in the following areas:
• Linux Systems Administration skills and experience. We primarily use Debian, but there's some CentOS too.
• A solid grasp of networking fundamentals, preferably including hands-on experience with load balancers, switches, routers, etc.
• Experience running and maintaining a 24x7 internet-oriented production environment. Experience supporting “bare metal” hardware and physical servers as well as cloud - the majority of our server estate is cloud based, but there are some physical machines too.
• Demonstrable expertise around specifying, designing, and/or implementing system health, performance monitoring tools. We currently use New Relic, Datadog, Elastic Search / Logstash / Kibana, PagerDuty.
• Experience in managing provisioning and configuring servers using configuration management tools such as CloudFormation, Terraform, Ansible, SaltStack, Helm.
• Experience in database installation, configuration and management. Note: we are not looking for people who have specific database administrator experience, though it will obviously be beneficial if you do have those skills. Currently, we have a mixture of Postgres, MySQL, AWS RDS and Redis. Postgres and MySQL are the two main database systems.
• Some experience in containerisation with Docker / Kubernetes would be beneﬁcial. A willingness to learn these things is essential though.
About Glück Games