On-demand food delivery is here to stay. With industry growth supercharged by lockdown conditions in the global pandemic, and virtual restaurants – or ‘dark kitchens’ – now entering the mainstream, the future of food is digital.
However, there have been some clear problems with virtual restaurants from day one. Pungent smells, queues of delivery drivers waiting outside and often unsociable operating hours have given dark kitchens a bad reputation in local communities. Inside, the kitchens are usually windowless, busy and punishingly hot, with workers “cooped up like battery hens” while earning low pay, and on zero-hour contracts. In that environment, mistakes happen all too easily leading to errors in customer orders and staff injury.
What we're Building
It’s time to take virtual restaurants to the next level! At REMY Robotics, we use Delivery Restaurant Robotics (DRR) to solve the problems today’s dark kitchens face. We’re building the world’s first portfolio of vertically integrated virtual restaurant brands powered by DRR, with food prepared exclusively in our autonomous robot-run kitchens. Our kitchens use software-defined and adaptive robots, computer vision, artificial intelligence and mechatronics that can ensure constant quality, adaptability to any recipe, and operational effectiveness across an endless variety of food production scenarios. The food will be available for delivery via our ordering app, a state of the art digital platform and parent brand to our portfolio of virtual restaurant brands.
Who we are
At REMY, we like to do things a bit differently. Unlike traditional software products, our robots exist in the physical world: this means the scope of our products and projects are wide-ranging, from the highly technical to the physical, such as identifying and implementing appropriate food packaging solutions for our customer-facing hot food products.
Additionally, REMY Robotics benefits from having Kinetik, the financial technology group famous for unicorns like Arrival, as sole founder-investors. This distinctive model, combined with our existing team of experienced, highly-driven world-class tech, culinary and operational employees, removes the bureaucracy from our business, allowing us to focus on what will make a real impact to REMY’s products.
At REMY Robotics, we are developing groundbreaking technological solutions to create a better future for the food industry and for consumers.
As a Lead Engineer, you will be creating and leading the technical design and development of software solutions that support interfaces for interactions between REMY OS and its different users: clients, culinary team, product managers, partners, suppliers etc. The software and hardware you will be working on should help us get better control over menu management, order management, inventory management, procurement, and most importantly customers' feedback. By REMY OS we mean “From Farm to Fork” system that will provide full transparency on each and every dish cooked at REMY Autonomous Kitchen. For example, who the supplier was, how the dish was cooked, who delivered it, what feedback a customer left. The system will be able to identify the best and worst suppliers, rate the robot work, and point out delivery issues. This includes fostering and supporting our agile development culture while being responsible for:
- Proposing and designing software solutions to address complex business needs,
- Preparing technical and procedural documentation,
- Working with stakeholders on defining the overall vision,
- Taking responsibilities for features development and aligning with all your stakeholders,
- Providing technical guidance and support to colleagues,
- Code reviewing, testing, and documenting,
- Directly contribute to the code and the architectural roadmap,
- Applying modern principles, methodologies, and tools to advance business initiatives and capabilities.
What will make you a great candidate
- You have a degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience,
- You have at least 5 years of experience in software development as well as at least 2 years as e.g. a Tech Lead or Principal Engineer,
- You are an expert in object-oriented design and development experience (Python),
- You already have management or mentoring experience with an agile leadership style,
- You have experience in complex micro-services environments,
- You have experience with cloud platforms: AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Azure,
- You are familiar with databases: PostgreSQL, MongoDB,
- You have experience with server-less and GraphQL will be an advantage,
- You have the ability to work well in a fast-moving, product-focused development team,
- You want to create a product that can help greatly reduce food waste.
What success means in this role
- You can work in close collaboration with the product team to create high-quality solutions,
- You continually manage to meet product requirements,
- Your code is clean, readable and well-structured,
- Code performance is never an issue: you write efficient systems that scale,
- You are flexible in what you work on every sprint.
What we offer
- The beaches, food, vibes, mountains and architecture of Barcelona
- The chance to work on the next big thing in Foodtech
- Amazing colleagues and a great culture
- Personal growth, innovation and learning every day
- Health insurance for you and your family
- 23-25 paid vacation days (+9 public holidays)
- Return flights home
- Gym subscription
- Relocation assistance