Picnic is an app-only supermarket. We’re data driven with software at our core. Our world-class developers write immaculate code to support the world’s fastest growing supermarket. We’re on a quest for like-minded people to be part of the future of digital grocery shopping.
Where you fit in
Our developers are integrated, involved, and essential to each part of our company. From route planning, scaling our customer analytics to handle millions of messages, to how many bananas we should have in our warehouse on a Thursday – they write, plan, and predict.
As one of our Java Developers, you take ownership of projects, learn, and work collaboratively with your colleagues. You constantly design, test, evolve, and evaluate the nuts and bolts of our operation while offering a creative and analytical approach.
The high-quality code that stems from your fingertips is stylish, sexy, and robust. You just love to build ultra-scalable systems. You’re at home writing platforms and you display an intricate understanding of how each line of code fits into a business plan.
Your skills will be complemented with the latest tech. We are committed to pushing development wherever possible. When you arrive you’ll be working with Java 8, but soon you’ll help us make the transition to Java 9.
At Picnic we have diverse projects to keep you interested. Think you should focus on Android development? That’s fine - you’ll have the freedom to experiment and evolve your own abilities.
We don’t hide our developments. We open-source with the community that helped us grow. If you require more motivation to apply - check out our page: http://picnic.tech
What you do
- Design, develop, and test new user-facing features of our platform
- Create high-quality code that is scalable, reliable and reusable
- Innovate and advance the core planning, shopping, retailing and shipment algorithms
- Optimise supply chain systems to maximize operational performance and efficiency
- Analyse and improve the scalability and security of our platform
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables
What you need
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- 1-3 years experience in Programming and Software Development
- Profound understanding of back-end development (Java, Spring MVC, MongoDB, Elastic, PostgreSQL)
- Critical thinking and initiative: Hands-on, nothing-is-impossible mindset
- Mental athleticism: Highly analytical and curious intellect
- Out-of-the-box thinking: Ability to translate business requirements into high-performing scalable solutions
- Superb communication: Capacity to articulate technical problems and projects to all teams
Technologies we use
- ElasticSearch, RabbitMQ, Kinesis
- NPM, Yarn, Webpack
- Maven and Git
- PostgreSQL (PostGIS), MongoDB, Redshift (Spectrum), Athena
- Hadoop, Spark, Elastic MapReduce (EMR)
- AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Kops, Terraform, Vault, Packer