Are you a weathered software engineer who knows how to grow a highly efficient, smart and enthusiastic engineering department in a disruptive tech company? Are you an excellent leader, coach and mentor? Do you enjoy to ‘automate all the things!’? Are you passionate about testing? Do you want to help shape the future of a growing company that aims to make the world a better place? Join us as our Head of Engineering!
Who are we?
Castor EDC (Electronic Data Capture), a web application that allows medical researchers to collect data for their clinical studies. We are one of the fastest growing HealthTech companies, tripling our customer base every year. We are proud of the fact that our customers are our biggest growth engine. Once they use our product, they fall in love and tell their fellow researchers.
What is our goal?
To improve healthcare worldwide by enabling medical research through technology. We want to accelerate medical research by unlocking the potential of every researcher. We believe that the Castor products can become the global standard for medical data capture and management. To meet tomorrow’s healthcare challenges standardizing and reusing datasets is the key. Starting with an easy to use and affordable EDC system, we help users in their entire research process.
Using the large volumes of data and metadata collected in our systems, we want to provide researchers AI-driven services to make our core products increasingly smarter. This poses interesting challenges related to scalability, security, cryptography, artificial intelligence and UX. We were recently awarded two large grants (~€2M) by the European Union that help us to speed this along!
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an experienced team player to manage and grow our engineering teams. You will work closely together with the CTO and the Engineering teams to shape our current and future platforms. In collaboration with the Product teams you plan and execute the roadmaps.
You thrive when you can bring a team to a higher level, in terms of knowledge, quality and process. You find it important to work in an environment where you contribute more than just revenue and profit.
What will you be doing?
- Manage the developers and development teams in a quickly growing organization.
- Actively recruit for the engineering teams and ensure new hires have a soft landing within the company.
- Sustain the open and constructive team culture, where everyone is eager to improve, learn and help others.
- Manage team and personal performance by providing constructive feedback
- Provide technical leadership by keeping up to date and implementing best practices
- Help design and execute the product roadmaps together with the CEO, CTO and Product teams.
- Ensure that our applications scale with our customer base and monitor our infrastructure for bottlenecks.
- Analyze and design our systems with a strong security mindset
- Constantly track the quality of our systems and manage (code) quality improvement
- Refine and optimize the architecture of our applications
Our stack and tools
Our stack consists of PHP7 using (parts of) Zend Framework 2 and Doctrine 2, backed by a multi-tenant MySQL or MariaDB setup. We are integrating several (open source) tools for big data analysis and visualiations (Jupyter, R-Shiny), cryptography and key management tools, and are always looking for the latest tech that fits our use-cases. For the frontend we currently use Sencha’s ExtJS framework 3.4 and 6.5, but are evaluating alternatives.
Our toolset includes Slack, JIRA, Bitbucket, Confluence and Google for Business. We use Jenkins as a continuous integration server and provision our development VMs with Ansible. We work in an Agile SCRUM fashion with a very open-minded, enthusiastic and smart team.
- The chance to carve out your technical role in a quickly-growing scale-up
- Recruitment budget to grow the engineering team
- A way to help the world by improving medical research
- The option to work from home 2 days a week
- 30 vacation days per year
- The opportunity to attend relevant tech conferences and meet-ups
- Work with and contribute to open source software
- A team of young, smart and driven colleagues
- A spacious office with all amenities located in the south-east part of Amsterdam
- Free lunch, snacks and Friday afternoon drinks!
- A great salary, bonuses based on company results, and a pension plan
- 10+ years of experience with web technology and large software projects
- Ability to lead multiple (international) agile development teams of 5-10 persons
- Desire to mentor, motivate and inspire, ability to improve the skills of the entire team
- Strong programming and analytical skills, can work closely with engineers on software design and problem solving.
- Strong (project) management skills, can handle multiple concurrent projects without problems
- Excellent communicator, both verbally and written
- Keeps technical skills up to date by contributing to open source, going to conferences / meetups or by reading
- Deeply cares about privacy and security
Affinity with or experience in the domains of healthcare and scientific research are a big pro.