Lingokids mission is to break down language barriers and provide equal opportunities for kids all around the world. To help deliver our educational content to millions of families, we’re looking for a Data Engineer.
At Lingokids, we encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. We actively seek to hire individuals with different perspectives, and we are eager to continue diversifying our company's culture. We strive to be an inclusive, supportive place where you can do the best work of your career.
Our offices are in Madrid, Spain, but the position is open to anyone with experience working remotely. Some overlap with Central European Time is expected though, for those times when a video call is the most efficient way to communicate.
About the job:
Our Data Platform is what supports the Analytics needs and data-driven projects of the company. It is built around a modern ELT pipeline deployed on AWS and uses Python, Spark, dbt, Redshift, and a range of AWS services.
As a Data Engineer on our Data Engineering Squad, you will support, improve and extend our Data Platform. Your work will empower our Analysts and Data Scientists, enable data-driven Product features, and generally support the data-informed culture at Lingokids.
More specifically, you will:
- Design, build and support modern and scalable data pipelines using 3rd party platforms or internal solutions.
- Collaborate with data scientists, other engineers, and stakeholders to understand what data is required and how best to make it available in our Data Platform.
- Support the daily work of our Data Scientists by ensuring they have easy access to data and tools (development environment, notebook instances, etc.).
- Write and maintain code to orchestrate our ETL workflows.
- Improve the design and data feeding of our Data Lake.
- Help and train Data Scientists to optimize SQL queries for performance.
- Provide data and infrastructure for building and deploying ML models to production.
- Use best practices around CI/CD, automation, testing, and monitoring of analytics pipelines (inspired by DataOps).
The ideal teammate for us would be someone who believes that communication, empathy, inquisitiveness, and open-mindedness are fundamental to being successful in any endeavor.
- Be interested in building a platform that enables our Data Analysts and Data Scientists.
- Be fluent with one or more high-level programming languages (Python, Ruby, Java, Scala, or similar).
- Be comfortable with analytical SQL.
- Be familiar with software development best practices and their applications to Analytics (version control, testing, CI/CD, automation).
- Have experience building modern ETL pipelines, possibly at a large scale.
- Have experience working with a modern data warehouse (Redshift, Snowflake, BigQuery, or similar).
- A self-driven approach to learning new technologies and moving projects forward.
We consider the following as nice to have:
- Experience working with Data Scientists and Analysts.
- An interest in data quality and governance.
- Experience in the BigData ecosystem (Hadoop, Spark, PrestoDB, …).
- Experience with a Cloud Data Warehouse (Redshift, Snowflake, …).
- Familiarity with infrastructure and automation tools (Terraform, Ansible, or similar).
English is a must. We are a multicultural team, and we are providing a service in English so, we don't care about certificates, but we expect you to be able to communicate fluently.
You should feel equally comfortable communicating in long-form writing. Given the circumstances, we have become a fully remote company. We are firm believers that being articulate in both spoken and written long-form asynchronous communication is key to working efficiently together.
If you think you don't tick all the boxes, we'd still love to hear from you. Nobody checks every box, and we are looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Unlimited remote working
You can choose to work from home indefinitely or attend to the office whenever you feel like it.
- Flexible hours
We care about the results you bring to the team. 9 to 6 and constant commuting is not for us either.
- Visa Sponsorship
If you need a visa to work in the EU, Lingokids will assist you during the visa process, costs-included.
- Feedback culture
Feedback is the breakfast of champions, and we take it seriously!
- Professional growth
Up to €2.000 per year for conferences, books and training.
- Language Lessons
Language learning is what we’re all about! We’ll cover language classes for you to learn Spanish, English or Portuguese.
- Stock options
Joining Lingokids means you can choose to own part of the company.
- Free friday lunch
Company allowance to be able to order lunch every Friday with Deliveroo!
- Happy Hours & Retreats
From casual drinks after work to our annual retreat, you’ll have tons of opportunities to get to know your colleagues.
- Diverse environment
Multicultural team with +19 nationalities and day-to-day work in English.
We’re the playlearning™ app for more than 20 million families around the world. We teach kids important skills in English and help them discover their natural superpowers. Creativity. Collaboration. Critical thinking. Communication. These are some of the skills that children need to thrive. Parents can join the adventure of learning too. We’ve developed more than 600 games and activities kids and parents can play together.
Our dream is to have a positive impact on 100 million families and we’re playworking™ hard to make it a reality… if you feel this dream could be your dream too, reach out!