What we do
Merantix transforms how businesses, healthcare organizations, and governments operate by building products that apply machine intelligence to their enterprise datasets. We acquire datasets that enable promising products, incubate those products, and spin off ventures to support their growth. We take advantage of three core competencies: Our experience applying machine learning, our expertise fostering enterprise partnerships to assemble vast datasets, and our culture of rapidly iterating to build scalable products.
Our projects are meaningful and diverse. Currently we work on:
- Automated medical image diagnosis
- Financial models for automated trading on new markets
- Deep neural networks used for autonomous driving
As our current ventures progressively grow mature and become more independent, we will look into new industries such as satellite imagery, pharmaceutical drugs, industrial IoT and automated manufacturing.
Our team is made up of entrepreneurs, scientists, and engineers from premier universities around the world. Many of us have PhDs and work experience at top tech companies. We’re based in Europe’s startup capital, Berlin, and are growing quickly!
Are you passionate about data? Does the prospect of dealing with massive volumes of data excite you? Do you want to play an instrumental role in building deep learning products?
Merantix is looking for a Data Engineer to join our core team building scalable ventures. Among your main responsibilities will be to:
- Design terabyte-scale data pipelines
- Automate data retrieval, processing and serving on cloud infrastructure
- Implement privacy and security mechanisms for sensitive data, such as in health care
- Develop applications and tools for data integration, experimentation, quality, modelling, etc.
- Keep up to date with advances in big data technologies and integrate new data architectures into our infrastructure
You will use modern frameworks to build infrastructure that enables training and deploying deep learning models at scale. The tasks are diverse and non-repetitive, as your work will focus on automating different data pipelines for constantly evolving projects. Successful projects will be highly automated via clean, maintainable code. Some projects will require special considerations, such as low latency, on-premise deployment, high throughput, one-off language bindings. You will work closely with our Machine Intelligence and Backend Engineers, profiting from and enriching their expertise.
We define ourselves by a culture of friendship and ownership. We’re looking for capable, driven, and thoughtful people to add to our vision.
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Solid competence in software engineering with a common programming language such as Python, Java/JVM or .NET
- Experience with distributed data processing frameworks on Linux, such as Apache Beam, Spark, Kafka Streaming or Flink
- MS or PhD in Computer Science or related technical field
- Excellent competence in software engineering with Python, including Numpy and Pandas
- Industry experience working with large-scale data processing (Spark, Flink, Kafka), cloud infrastructure (GCP, AWS) and/or machine learning frameworks (TensorFlow)
- Practical understanding of code optimization and efficiency
- Significant industry experience developing data products
- You know and care about sound engineering practices like version control, clean code, code review, testing, continuous delivery and automation
- Bonus: Skilled with a low-level programming language such as C, C++ or Rust
The preferred qualifications are just that: preferred. None of us walked in with all of them. If a few of these points apply to you, we definitely want to talk!
Working at Merantix
Our hierarchy is flat and communication direct, which means that we operate and learn fast, as a team. You are a great fit for our team if this describes you:
- Entrepreneurial mindset: Creative, focused, and not easily discouraged
- An ability to work in a fast-paced environment where continuous innovation is occurring and ambiguity is the norm.
- Excellent technical and analytical problem-solving skills
- Structured work style to develop effective solutions with minimal oversight
- Analyze and solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills with ability to balance competing priorities
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills and an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams.
- Love what you do (and own it)
In addition to a competitive salary and equity package, you can expect the following:
Some of us come in during regular business hours, and some of us prefer to start later or earlier. Occasionally, we work from home in the mornings or evenings rather than in the office. We don’t track vacation time, and expect you to take time off as you need it. And while the infrequent unavoidable deadline may demand extraordinary effort, we value our evenings and weekends and overtime is the exception, not the rule. Just ask one of our founders, a father of two.
We want each developer to attend at least one professional conference each year. You might take part in PyData, Strata or similar. Last year our entire machine learning engineering team attended NIPS and ICCV. We make major contributions to the open source community. We have a weekly paper reading group to stay up on current research.
We have regular outings and team dinners. If you want to participate, that’s great! And if you don’t, that’s fine too.