Different people employ different methods when it comes to making decisions. SWOTs, pros and cons, a coin flip, gut feeling...none of them beat the facts. At Typeform, the Data team is making sure it’s easy for data to become our #1 asset.
Typeform’s data needs are growing, and we need to find new technical solutions to respond to these needs—fast.
That’s where you come in. We’re looking for a passionate Business Intelligence Data Engineer to design a big data infrastructure for our machine learning projects, a set of APIs to ingest/expose data, and a coordination framework for the whole thing. All this to drive Typeform to the gold-standard of data collection.
Here’s Viola, one of our data scientists:
“In our team, collaboration between data scientists and data engineers is key. The ability to brainstorm continuously and define the needs for KPIs and dashboards together is crucial for getting actionable insights and building a solid knowledge base.”
We’re proud of what we’ve achieved in a short space of time, including a KPI dashboard that empowers all employees to make data-informed decisions. Now, we want to scale our big data infrastructure and boost the performance of data-loading workflows.
Do you love diving into data projects? Do you dream in numbers? Do you see problems as challenges? Then come be a part of something big.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Provide expert advice, make architectural considerations, apply standards, find solutions, and employ best practices around data warehousing and business intelligence.
- Guide us through the full lifecycle of a big data solution: analyze what we need, select platforms, design technical architecture, design and develop applications, test, and deploy.
- Gather and process raw data at scale—write scripts, call APIs, write SQL queries—all to feed out data warehouse, machine learning processes, and our data lake.
- Understand how data flows within various systems, ensure data integrity and availability, and organize it properly for reporting and analytics.
- Work with other departments to meet their data needs, making the info clear for tech experts and newbies alike.
- Champion a healthy data culture throughout the organization.
- Join us for countless chats over coffees, beers, smoothies, hot soup (basically any liquid)
Here’s what we’re after:
- You’ve got 3 years’ experience as a data architect, data engineer, business intelligence/big data analyst, or consultant.
- You can code SQL in your sleep, optimizing queries for performance, scalability and ease of maintenance. You understand the specific characteristics of each tool.
- You’ve got experience integrating data from multiple sources, including DBs, product tracking, and APIs.
- You get excited when your jobs are running like clockwork.
- You know about big data tools, Hadoop, and related sub-projects (Hive, Spark , HBase).
- You know about cloud computing platforms such as AWS or Google Cloud.
- You’ve got a background in computer science or strong programming skills in Python.
- You loving getting stuck in to juicy problems. The word impossible—given the appropriate time and resources, of course—does not compute.
- You’re hungry to learn and embrace healthy debate (who shot first?)
- You’re proficient in English and eager to work in a multicultural, international environment.
And here are some things that would be great, but aren’t essential:
- You’ve got experience with AWS Redshift or other MPP databases (BigQuery, Vertica, Exasol, etc.). You’ve got basic DBA skills.
- You have experience with Pentaho Data Integration (Kettle), Airflow or Luigi.
- You have experience with modern BI tools (Tableau, Qlikview) and/or SaaS BI solutions (Mode Analytics, Amplitude, Mixpanel, etc.)
Think you’re a good fit? Hit apply—if you’ve got the data to back it up ;-)