Who we are
TransferWise was founded in 2011 with a clear mission: Money without borders - so people and businesses can send and receive any currency effortlessly, whenever, wherever.
Sure, the heart of what we do is international money transfer. And we’re committed to making it instant, convenient and fair for millions of people, all over the world. But we’re growing our other products and our teams at an exciting pace. And we’re looking for the very best to jump on board.
What it’s really like to work here
At TransferWise, we do things a bit differently. There’s no corporate nonsense and no old-fashioned hierarchy. Instead, we work in dozens of self-sufficient, autonomous teams. Think of them like start-ups within a start-up that learn from each other.
Each team picks the problems they want to solve. So there’s no micro-management. No hiding behind fancy job titles. And no one telling you what to do. You are your own boss. But you’ll get tons of guidance and plenty of support from talented, super-smart colleagues from all over TransferWise.
We’re going to be upfront - the way we work doesn’t suit everyone. But if freedom, autonomy, and life-affirming, head-scratching professional challenges rock your world, we could be a match made in heaven.
So, what’s the role?
In general, as a Back End Engineer in TransferWise you will work towards making our product the best that it can be. On one hand you will do this by solving very complex technical puzzles while on the other hand, you will do this by figuring out what are the best product decisions based on feedback we get from our great customers.
More specificly, we are currently growing our local Business engineering team which holds from an engineering perspective our TransferWise for Businesses product. So, currently looking for talented Back End Engineers ready and up to the challenge of helping us in scaling-up our Business product. What we re looking for:
- Background with backend MVC framework - Java and SpringBoot preferred
- Experience with SQL databases, writing custom queries and designing schemas
- Understanding of test driven development (TDD), and the desire to write tests
- Experience in distributed and concurrent systems, knowing the tradeoffs between stateful/stateless and synchronous/asynchronous architectures.
... while we will also very much appreciate any of the following
- Passionate about technology, product and user experience
- Customer is at the heart of everything you do and that empathy drives every decision you make
- Ability to work independently and plan your own solutions to problems
- Open to travel and work with Engineering teams from UK and Estonia
- Broad understanding of the minimum viable product concept & conversion rates
- Knowledge of/interest in payment platforms, foreign exchange & performant complex systems
- Experience using database abstraction layers like Hibernate
- Understanding of Scrum and Agile development - particularly lean methodologies
- Be a customer of TransferWise
For a sneak - peek into our Engineering world check: http://tech.transferwise.com/
Apart from the all-expenses-paid company trips, stock options in one of Europe’s most hotly tipped startups, a laptop and team lunches every Friday, you won’t get much in the way of extras. However, we will give you 25 days holiday a year (plus public holidays), a fun, friendly atmosphere, plenty of opportunities to grow and the chance to be part of our little revolution. Oh, and coffee, there’s plenty of coffee.
Some important stuff we would like you to know
To meet our regulatory obligations as a licensed financial services company, TransferWise needs to take background checks on all new hires, which may include Criminal and Credit checks. Please discuss with the Recruiter if you have any concerns regarding this process.
At TransferWise we believe in fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. Therefore, we want to make sure that our recruitment process is accessible to everyone. So if you need any reasonable adjustments – at any point in the process – we’ll do our best to help. Just let us know what you need on your application form, or drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You might need a reasonable adjustment if you’ve got a disability. Or maybe you live overseas, and you’d prefer to meet us over Skype.
Please don’t send anything to the adjustments address if you’re a recruiter, or if you’re making a speculative application. We do work with recruiters from time to time – but only through LinkedIn. And we only accept job applications when a position is actually open. So you’re better off just checking the recruitment pages regularly.