Flair is the social network for youth football players. We are on a mission to make every young football player feel like a star.
Our mobile app allows kids and teens to digitise their football season. Week-by-week, players of all abilities use Flair to create & share graphics, photos and videos of their matchday performance, and follow the journeys of other players.
The Flair app went live in September 2018, with 1500 users registered by the first week. Prior to that, we had already: tested the beta app successfully for a full football season, raised over £600,000 across two funding rounds, won the UCL George Farha New Venture Award, been a part of London’s first sports-tech incubator, and built a 5-person team driven by a shared mission.
This is just the beginning – our long-run goal is to become the global, digital brand for the next generation of sportsperson.
We’re hiring for a: Backend Developer (Permanent, Full-Time)
Our 5-person team is hiring a talented Backend Developer to play a crucial role in building the infrastructure that will allow our app to scale. As a Backend Developer, you’ll work closely with the rest of our engineers to ensure system consistency and improve user experience.
• As an early employee at Flair, you’ll be able to have a huge influence on the company’s direction, both from a technological and cultural point of view.
• We’re a small team, with limited bureaucracy, so you’ll be making a big impact from day one. As we grow, you’ll be able to progress into leadership roles.
• We’re creating a community-centric brand for young people, focused around sport – your work will have a significant social impact.
• Football is the world’s most popular sport, so you’ll be building an application with mass consumer appeal and the potential to be used by millions globally.
• You’ll have the chance to meet leading names in global sport (we’ve already had a meeting with Paul Pogba, and the FA invited us to Wembley Stadium).
• You’ll be part of a diverse team, in terms of age, gender and ethnicity. We’re actively seeking to ensure our team reflects the diversity of our community.
• You’ll be able to combine working-from-home and working from our office at UCL’s Hatchery, King’s Cross – surrounded by some of London’s best start-ups.
• You’ll be paid competitively with an equity option worth up to £35,000 as an early employee.
• Participate in the entire application lifecycle, focusing on coding and debugging
• Collaborate with front-end developers to integrate user-facing elements with server-side logic
• Write clean code to develop functional applications
• Perform tests to optimize performance
• Gather and address technical requirements and design requirements
• Build reusable code and libraries for future use
Your Ideal Skillset & Expertise
• Proven work experience as a Backend Developer
• In-depth understanding of the entire development process (design, development and deployment)
• Excellent analytical and time management skills
• Teamwork skills with a problem-solving attitude
You might also have:
• Familiarity with mobile technologies (React Native)
• A BSc degree in Computer Science or relevant field