From smartphones to connected cars, location data is changing the way we live and the way business happens. CARTO is the platform that turns location data into more efficient delivery routes, better behavioural marketing, deforestation tracking, and more.
CARTO enables a type of advanced analytics specialized in spatial location. Our platform provides tools for visualization, data management, and analysis of large spatial datasets. We are one of the main contributors to free and open-source geospatial software, like PostGIS. We also ran one of the biggest clusters of PostGIS enabled databases in the world.
Backed by leading VC firms Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, CARTO is poised to lead the Location Intelligence space.
CARTO works with big private organizations like Google, Procter & Gamble, Mastercard, etc., but also with governments and NGOs to fight COVID-19 or climate change. We provide hundreds of grants to different organizations around sustainability and inequality issues. We believe spatial analytics will be critical for the future of our societies and environment.
With hundreds of thousands of users as of today, we are pioneering a new community of Spatial Data Scientists. Check out our yearly Spatial Data Science Conference.
What are we looking for
We are looking for an experienced Backend Engineer to join CARTO’s product team to build the next generation geospatial platform running on top of the most popular data warehouses: BigQuery, Snowflake, Redshift and Aurora.
Our mission is to provide an easy way to work with geospatial data on those data warehouses, we want to compute on them because it allows our customers to work with huge datasets (hundred of GBs or TBs) and because our customers don’t need to move their data out of their warehouses. More info at https://carto.com/blog/enhancing-geospatial-in-bigquery-with-carto-spatial-extension and https://carto.com/blog/announcing-carto-bigquery-tiler-general-availability/
In CARTO we work at a large scale. And when we say large scale, we mean it. Rough numbers:
- Tens of millions of map views per month.
- Thousands of customers. Hundreds of thousands of users.
- Thousands of databases.
- Billion API calls per month.
If you love to be in contact with top engineers around the world in geospatial, this is your place!
- Build the next-generation geo-analytics platform for analysts, developers and data scientists.
- Push BigQuery, Snowflake and Redshift to the limit. You’ll also understand the internals of these data warehouses.
- Communicate periodically with your work team, via Slack and daily meetings.
- Help to define, plan and organize work tasks in 2-week iterations with Clubhouse.
- Apply good development practices: clean code, testing, documentation, code reviews.
- Contribute to open-source projects in GitHub (part of our work is open-sourced!).
- Be ready to work and collaborate with engineers from open-source communities like PostgreSQL, Vis.gl, PyData, and from companies like Uber, Microsoft, or Google
- Initiative, a can-do attitude, and eagerness to learn! Curiosity, energy, and a collaborative mindset (code reviews, pair programming, promote teamwork, succeed together).
- A solid 3+ years experience as a backend developer, with a mature approach to the job (git/GitHub, documentation, testing,...).
- 3+years working with Node JS and SQL databases.
- Demonstrable experience in building APIs and authentication.
- You’ve worked before with Typescript and Docker.
Nice to have
- Experience working with geospatial technology. Ideally PostGIS, S2, H3
- Demostrable work with Redshift, BigQuery or Snowflake
- Knowledge of high-performance databases and distributed computing
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform or AWS
- Competitive, results-based compensation, plus an annual bonus of up to 10% based on company objectives
- Contribute to a platform used by top companies around the world. Your work will have a direct impact on our users and clients
- Access to our Employee Stock Options Plan
- Private Medical Insurance
- A bright, comfortable office, stocked with snacks, good coffee, and even a ping-pong table and cinema :)
Provide us your resume and a letter explaining your interest. Be sure to let us know why you’re a great match for this role and for CARTO!
Diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, gender, age, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit our blog or check our product, follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).