Do you remember the feeling when you first automated something? The power and delight you felt when it just... worked? We want to do this but for transcribing speech — the basics of human communication. For decades transcription at scale has been almost impossible, now with the advancement of ASR technology we are on the verge of having computers that understand speech. Today, almost all the infrastructure is in place but we'll need remarkable engineering to pull it off.
Why this Role?
- Build the future of transcription. Language is fundamental for humans but almost nothing can be done with speech — It can't be searched, analysed... We have the chance to solve one of the fundamental problems of this (or the next) decade. You can help us realise this goal.
- Help build a world-class engineering team.** A team of three built a product used by hundreds of thousands of people with no money or funding. This, while competing with (and sometimes outperforming) teams 10x our size.
- Tackle our most interesting and impactful problems. Our team is still small, and people wear many hats. You'd jump between product, marketing, internal tools, process — participating in every stage from conception to implementation. Absolutely no boredom.
- Join us at a magical time. We are tiny at the moment. The business is bootstrapped, growing fast and profitable and we're building the team thoughtfully and with a lot of care. Help us shape how we grow, and what we build.
We are building the transcription of the future.
Humans use speech all the time. It's so important that it was one of the pillars of the Cognitive Revolution. It makes sense to transcribe it because, unlike text, you're limited with what you can do with it — it can't be searched, analysed... We are on the verge of having computers that understand speech. With the advancement of Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR) technology society is currently experiencing a paradigm shift.
Here at Happy Scribe we are democratising ASR technology, making it easy to use and available to everyone. ✌
Life & Team
We are tiny at the moment. The business is bootstrapped, growing fast and profitable and we're building the team thoughtfully and with a lot of care.
About this Role
What will be your mission as an Engineer at Happy Scribe?
- Build product features from start to finish. You'll wear many hats during the creation process while you conceive, design, implement, ship and maintain them — think features to improve the editing experience.
- Build the scalable infrastructure needed for the transcription of the future — like identifying coupling and extracting concerns into small and scalable services.
- Improve the performance, reliability, and efficiency of our systems — for example finding bottlenecks in the transcription pipeline and optimising them to reduce overall turnaround time.
- Design and implement processes and internal tools with simplicity and productivity in mind — such as a tool to sync valuable user feedback with the internal database.
This might be for you if...
- You care about the business implications of anything you build. You don't go after the shiny stuff, but see it as a balance of craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- You can learn most technologies as you go. You're pragmatic about them, it's about the tools and tradeoffs, not ideologies.
- You love steep learning curves, and are not afraid to learn about subjects that are outside of the comfort zone.
- You get things done. There are lots of people who are really excited about tons of things. Only some of those are excited about completing things.
- You care a great deal about your work. When something is off it's almost offensive to you.
- Bonus: You're fluent with Ruby/Rails, React, modular architectures...
- What benefits can I expect?
- Competitive salary and equity.
- Flexible vacation time.
- The hardware that you need to be most productive.
- Team Retreats by the beach or the mountains. — So far we've been to Paris, Mallorca, the Pyrenees, Aran Islands, Dublin...
- Some fancy dinners.
- One book of your choice each month and access to e-learning platforms of your choice. — We truly want you to learn.
- English-speaking environment.