Our SumUp office in Berlin is currently hiring for the position of VP of Engineering.
Your impact at SumUp
As part of our vision to become a truly global IT organization, we have started to build out local, autonomous, cross-functional teams that can take an aspect of our product and perfect it from concept to execution. As VP Engineering, you will oversee technical staff from several teams that are strategic to SumUp's success, for instance Merchant Acquisition (acquisition on all channels, ecommerce and onboarding experience) and Integrations/B2B (integrations with 3rd parties, public APIs/SDKs, developer tools/documentation).
You will help build and develop these teams, from partnering with tech leads during the hiring process to helping shape their technical decisions in the context of our overall software system. As our team in Berlin grows, you will also help establish additional teams and redistribute team members. Beyond these responsibilities, you will play a key role in contributing to our overall technical vision and help build a great engineering community in Berlin.
- Broadly oversee all engineers and their activities among teams located in Berlin (3+ teams with 10+ engineers, with plans to more than double the number of engineers within the next year).
- Play a key role in defining and executing SumUp's technical vision alongside your counterparts in Sofia and São Paulo.
- Partner closely with Product and the rest of the Engineering organization to define the product and technical roadmaps.
- Become deeply knowledgable about SumUp's software system on a technical level in order to onboard new joiners and be the reference point in the Berlin office for "the full picture".
- Participate in hiring processes of local tech managers, including interviews, technical assessments, and refining our hiring and recruitment processes.
- Support tech managers based in other locations with managing members of their team who are located in Berlin (specifically QA, Ops, and Platform developers).
- Mentor local tech leads and help them grow their teams both personally and professionally.
- Help organize meetups and hackathons at our Berlin location to improve our visibility in the local tech scene.
- Attract top technical talent by supporting our HR and Marketing teams in crafting a compelling Engineering brand.
- Travel to SumUp's offices in Bulgaria and Brazil to learn how our global IT organization works and synchronize efforts accross locations.
We craft the merchant's experience with our service end-to-end: from our proprietary hardware to our payments services, mobile apps, and web applications. This means we have a wide range of technical challenges before us, especially as our business grows year over year.
- Tools: AWS, Github, Jenkins, Graylog, Kibana, Consul.
- Principles: Service-oriented architecture, microservices, internal open-source culture, cross-functional teams (comprising platform, web, QA, design, and product).
- You are experienced with leading, coaching and mentoring engineering managers.
- You have deep expertise in software development practices and programming.
- You have hands-on experience in building large software systems, and can dive into our tech if needed.
- You love attracting, interviewing and growing people.
- You are positive, pragmatic and an excellent communicator.
- You are passionate about building a great engineering community and making it known to the outside world.
- You have a strong product mindset and care about creating a great experience for our merchants.
- You're fluent in English and willing to travel as part of our global organization.
- Experience working in an international, distributed team is a plus.
What we offer
- Responsibility and empowerment from day one.
- Competitive compensation and education budget.
- Visa and relocation support for a smooth transition to living and working in Berlin.
- Opportunity to join our weekly developer events, like Lunch & Learn and Hack Fridays.
- Close, welcoming, and international community of 130 people from over 30 countries; we get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football, yoga, German classes, and office parties.
- At least one off-site every year, where the tech teams from Berlin, Sofia, and São Paulo gather together. In the past we've gone to Bulgaria and Greece.
- Be part of one of Berlin's most exciting startups, on a mission to take over the world.
If you want to know what it’s like to work at SumUp, check out our careers page at https://sumup.com/careers.
We are looking forward to receiving your application.
We are the leading mobile point-of-sale (mPOS) company in Europe. We started out 5 years ago and built our payment service from scratch to shake up the industry and wake up the entrepreneur within anyone. We created a unique device that, with the smartphone that’s in your pocket, allows small merchants to accept card payments anywhere. Whether our merchants are brewing coffee or fixing cars, we want to make technology that everyone knows how to use. That way our merchants can focus on what they do best. From our paperless onboarding to taking the first payment, we make it easy. Traditional offerings leave out small businesses, we don’t. We are open and honest about our pricing and have no hidden fees.
Today, hundreds of thousands of small businesses in 31 countries around the world rely on SumUp to get paid. In addition to our original hardware, mobile and web apps we have gone on to develop a suite of APIs and SDKs to integrate SumUp payment into other apps and services.
Why work for us?
We do things differently. We build our own payment solution end-to-end so that we can always offer the best value and service. We know how vital payment is to small businesses, so we use our technology to solve their problems. We believe in open and transparent communication, not strict rules and hierarchies. We are a team of hardworking, talented people with one goal: to build a better way to get paid. We’ve got some huge challenges ahead of us, and we need smart, creative people to help us tackle them. If you think you’ve got what it takes—join us.