Who we are
Sqreen is a developer platform which detects security anomalies in web applications and provides automated responses and protection from attacks in real-time. We improve the security standards of the world's best applications and help developers around the world improve the security of their code, every day. Founded by former security experts at Apple, Sqreen protects hundreds of apps and companies like Algolia, Front, BlaBlaCar, LeMonde and Toptal, and has offices in San Francisco and Paris.
Initially featured in TechCrunch’s Disrupt SF Battlefield in 2016, Sqreen recently graduated YCombinator and secured a soon-to-be-announced Series A funding round! We’re proud to be backed by Silicon Valley’s most well-respected Venture Capital funds which allow us to continue building a rock-solid platform, increase our momentum and scale our product and organisation.
Curious to know more? Check us out here: https://www.sqreen.io.
What we need your help with
VP of Engineering will be responsible for leading an extremely
talented, multi-cultural engineering team, developing our engineering
culture, coordinating strategic technology choices and keeping the
business on schedule. Work closely with the CTO and product team in tool
selection, delivery roadmaps and other areas.
Tech-wise, as the business grows and new customers are onboarded we'll need to build the product in additional development languages, and increase the complexity and features of existing languages.
People-wise, the recruitment of talented engineers will be a top priority for the VP of Engineering. The founding team split their time between Paris and San-Francisco and the VP Engineering will be the most senior leader based in Paris full-time.
With an already international team, the culture of the business is diverse and inclusive. Technical ability within the team is high and with a product targeted at developers and engineers, keeping a close eye on the evolution of new web technologies and competitor products, as well as a passion for the developer ecosystem will see you succeed.
Day to day you'll:
- Build a strong engineering culture, facilitating work and communication across your organisation
- Scale the engineering team, recruiting talented engineers who add to the Sqreen culture and DNA and who have what it takes to undertake our engineering initiatives
- Actively inspire and encourage talent development and career progression within the engineering team
- Coordinate feature design with the Product team, define and prioritize the engineering roadmap and ensure delivery meets expectations
- Drive the right technology choices and internal adoption with the CTO
- Take appropriate risks, and proactively evaluate and manage incoming technical debt
- Develop best practices for testing, deploying, and developing features and releases
Who you are
- Technical ability
- A degree in computer science, computer engineering, statistics, mathematics or a related field
- Strong technical background, with a minimum of five years’ hands-on experience with web development and the ability to contribute meaningfully to technical planning and design discussions
- Experience designing/developing cloud-based, scalable applications
- Experience designing microservices architectures on hosted networks and cloud infrastructures and expertise in the architecture and integration of applications into existing web stacks without performance issues
- Expertise in developing with a keen appreciation for security requirements
- Appreciation of high performing code and the quality challenges inherent in minimising performance tradeoffs in our customers' applications
- Understanding of modern architecture and design principles and development methodologies
- Leadership experience
- A minimum of four years’ direct technical management experience
- You've already managed a team of at least ten engineers
- Technical leadership in high-growth VC / PE or privately-held software, SaaS or data businesses
- Able to provide leadership to a highly technical team, earning their respect whilst ensuring delivery against the defined technology roadmap
- Experience building, leading, and scaling engineering and development teams, with exposure to various structures including in-house, near-shore, and outsourcing
- Comfortable peering with the CTO to set a technical product vision and make technology choices
- Can articulate technology vision and delivery strategy in a language that enables discussion with a technical and non-technical audiences
- Excellent communicator and issue resolver
Sqreeners come from all corners of the globe and all walks of life. Diversity is important to us, so if you're unsure, please apply!
Why work for Sqreen
- Join a fast growing tech company, scaling a team of amazing engineers to build disruptive security technology
- Be part of an incredibly talented team who are passionate about democratising security
- Join at a crucial stage of our development (just post series A) with a huge amount of runway for you to add value and be a key factor in our future success
- Join a product-focused company, with a deep commitment to learning, demonstrated by access to any book you like, Sqreenity sessions - one week per quarter to focus on a subject of your choice and leverage for communicating about it - and the opportunity to attend your 'dream conference' each year financed by Sqreen, including travel.
- A real commitment to team well-being, via premium health insurance, great healthy snacks and beverages every day and coached Sqreenfit sessions every fortnight.
- A relaxed working environment with regular social activities
- Sqreen participates actively in the tech and security ecosystem in Paris and San Francisco so you'll have access to some of the most interesting and talented people from our network and beyond.
- Beautiful 'Sqreenhouses' in central Paris (Sentier), and San Francisco.
- An international, English speaking work environment with trips to SF for our engineers minimum once a year.
Interested? Apply now!