The Ocean Infrastructure Unix team ensures that the mostly Linux-based infrastructure services powering Ocado, the world's largest online-only grocery retailer, run as reliably and efficiently as possible. We continually drive improvements and love to automate everything we can on our journey towards rock-solid infrastructure as code. Join us and you’ll work with smart engineers across a range of technologies to create, support and maintain the services that delight our customers.
As a Unix Systems Engineer you will be responsible for proactively improving our Unix/Linux, Storage, and Virtualisation environments, actively with business projects and providing feedback and support to adhere to Service Level Objectives. Your exceptional enterprise-grade systems engineering and automation skills will be challenged and appreciated daily.
What we’d like you to do…
- Engage in and improve the whole lifecycle of Linux-based infrastructure services—from inception and design, through engineering, deployment, and operations.
- Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health against SLOs.
- Scale Linux-based systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation and API self-service, and evolve services by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity.
- Create and maintain quality documentation and records.
- Participate in the 24/7 on-call support rota.
What we look for...
- A methodical and logical approach to problem solving with a sense of ownership.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to communicate effectively within the team and with stakeholders.
- Self-starter, collaborative, comfortable adapting to change and learning quickly in a fast-paced team.
- Degree in Computer Science or related technical field involving systems engineering (e.g. physics or mathematics), or equivalent practical experience
- In-depth design and engineering experience with some of the following technologies in a large-scale 24x7 environment:
- Linux / AIX / Debian OS / IBM Power internals (e.g. filesystems, inodes, kernel-level system calls)
- VMware ESX / OpenStack
- NetApp / Ceph
- Tomcat / Glassfish
- Strong automation skills with Python and Shell Scripting.
- Understanding of networking (e.g. TCP/IP, network topologies, core services and hardware)
- Experience of Core OS, Docker, Kubernetes, FAI, Puppet, Public/Private Cloud.
- Exposure to Agile, DevOps, or SRE patterns.
- ITIL awareness.
What we can offer you
Within our flexible work environment, we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include a generous pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan, free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and, of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts (and free delivery) across our Webshops including Groceries, Fetch, Sizzle and Fabled.
We also have Friday socials on the first Friday of every month, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and much more), not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, our vacancy close dates may be subject to change. Ocado is an equal opportunity employer.