The Technical Manager is the owner of the technical aspects of a group of projects. Reporting to the Development Manager and liaising with the Project Manager in charge of any given project, the Technical Manager is co-responsible with other Technical Managers of being successful on meeting project delivery milestones and engineering expectations regarding scope and quality. Delivery on time is paramount, so the Technical Manager needs to create an environment where shared teams can do agile and assess and act on any situation with the objective of compliance with the delivery plan.
- Direct responsible for the delivery of a group of projects. Including:
- Maintenance of the project backlog.
- Appropriately plan resources and escalate resource needs that go beyond what has been allocated for his projects to both the Development Manager and the Project Manager.
- Identify project risks and manage contingencies.
- Deliver at both scope and time, or scale otherwise. Provide the software development effort estimates to the Project Manager.
- Identify and escalate technical risks to the Project Manager.
- Participate in solution definition at proposal stage under the lead of pre-sales of Bid Manager:
- Create a high-level draft of architecture diagram with the modules and validate it with the Architecture Manager.
- Estimate development efforts
- Maintain a coherent global vision for his projects while ensuring that involved teams are coordinated.
- Responsible for the project methodology implementation, ensuring it is properly followed according to the -departmental guidelines:
- Perform and act upon project retrospectives (post-mortems)
- Ensure that project and team methodologies are compatible.
- Gather impediment reporting from Team Leads and provide solutions for project-related ones.
- Act as product owner for the teams:
- Fill-up and maintain priorities on team backlogs.
- Hold the definition of done, including internal and external quality.
- Perform hands-on activities when needed.
- Owner of the agile framework for projects
- Provides support to Operations for production issues such as monitoring production cycles, performing configuration updates, and testing production fixes.
- Works with partners (outsourcing companies) to monitor and ensure the solution is aligned with design and SoW.
- Responsible for the design, maintenance and documentation of different APIs and file formats – consulting with Architecture Manager to ensure consistency.
- Accountable for the existence and maintenance of the technical documentation of the project.
- Collaborate with developer to build code, manage issues, and successfully deploy our software focused in the generation of the documentation needed.
- Collaborate with developers to create and maintain application deploy scripts, for deploying internal environments and provide the needed documentation.
- Make sure Security and IT departments know all the special details of the solution.
- English advanced user, both spoken and written.
- University degree in computer science, or equivalent level.
- At least 3 years in a similar position.
- Knowledge of Java-related tools: Eclipse, maven, etc.
- Knowledge of QA processes and tools.
- Knowledge of data access applications development (SQL, JDBC). Oracle DB is preferred.
- Proven experience managing high-skilled teams.
- Experience in multiplatform development (Linux, UNIX, Windows).
- Previous experience as a Software Engineer or QA Engineer.
- Occasional travels to participate in software deployment, sometimes upon short notice.
- Experience working with open source tools, libraries and products.
Nice to have
- Agile and Team coaching skills.
- Experience in Database design.
- Knowledge of Design Patterns.
- Knowledge of Tomcat, Glassfish, or other J2EE container.
- Knowledge of PMP, PMI, Prince 2, Scrum or other PM + development methodology.
- Knowledge of cryptograph (PKI, PKCS).
- Knowledge of .Net will be advantageous.
Scytl is recognized worldwide for helping revolutionize Democracy. Our secure election management and online voting solutions are helping organizations around the globe increase and improve participatory democracy, citizen empowerment and public transparency via innovative online technology.
Our highly energized company works with governments across all 5 continents, helping countries as different as the US, Norway, Uganda, UAE, Switzerland, Canada, Tunisia, Australia and Spain modernize their electoral processes making elections more engaging, participatory, transparent, accessible and secure.