We're Ocado Technology. We design and build the platform that powers Ocado, the world's largest online-only grocery retailer.
We write and build all our own systems, from website to warehouse control systems, van routing systems to mobile apps, every system involved in our e-commerce and logistics operation has been carefully crafted by our team of passionate software engineers.
We have a rapidly expanding portfolio of amazing software products being developed in Barcelona. And we work closely with our development teams in our other centres around the world.
We use Java, relying on Spring and Akka to deliver our projects. We use AWS for all our new deployments. We embrace agile development techniques, and run our projects as Scrum or Kanban projects as part of a cross functional team. Alongside the ownership and ongoing development of all new functionality, there is particular focus on performance, scalability and maintainability. We are looking for a dedicated Java Developer to join our team as we continue to push the boundaries of online shopping.
Here's a list of the things that we'd be looking for but more important than any individual skill you will demonstrate strong alignment to the Ocado Technology values of Autonomy, Collaboration, Craftsmanship, Learn Fast and Trust.
Skills and Experience
- Proven experience leading a team of software engineers and applying principles of continuous improvement
- Agile advocate with good knowledge of scrum, kanban and lean working practices
- Good ability to understand the business domain and foster a good relationship with the business and product owner
- Experience recruiting staff and mentoring development teams
- Architectural oversight, technical leadership and strategic direction
- Strong programming and object-oriented design skills
- Pragmatic, but with a keen eye for detail
- Happy leading teams of developers of various technical disciplines
- Licenciado o Título de Ingeniero en Ingeniería Informática o Tecnologías de la Información (A good degree in Computer Science or related subject)
- Good level of spoken and written English
Nice to have
- Knowledge of Java, AWS, Cloud Computing and NoSQL
- Knowledge of Web Services and micro-service architectures
- A fanaticism for clean code
- Passion and understanding for TDD, pair programming and other agile practices
- Practical experience with continuous delivery
- A mastery of git!
We can offer you:
A relaxed, international, talented, creative and friendly environment (phew!) where we will provide you with the best tools to develop amazing stuff. We invest in our employees, ensuring we provide them with the best in house and external training programs available. We also really encourage people to attend conferences and be involved in the local developer community.
- Flexible working hours with short Fridays
- Reduced hours in August
- Private Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Ticket Restaurant Scheme
- Free fresh fruit, snacks, tea and coffee
- Monthly drinks events
- Table football
- English and Spanish language courses
We are right next to Sants station, a central area of Barcelona. We are just getting going, which makes it a very exciting time to join!
There’s a lot going on at Ocado Technology! Find out more about us at http://www.ocadotechnology.com
Due to the fast paced nature of our business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.