Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS) was created by the International Olympic Committee in 2001 in order to serve as the Host Broadcast organisation for all Olympic Games, Olympic Winter Games and Youth Olympic Games.
The Host Broadcaster is responsible for delivering the pictures and sounds of the Olympic Games to billions of viewers around the world. It produces and transmits unbiased live radio and television coverage of every sport from every venue. This feed is called the International Signal or the World Feed.
In March 2018, a Cooperation Agreement between the IOC and the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) was signed, ensuring that OBS will serve as the Host Broadcaster for future Paralympic Games as well.
Olympic Broadcasting Services S.L. is the corporate entity that is charged with operating OBS in Madrid, Spain.
The System Admin Coordinator works in the design, implementation, operation, and support of the IT and Cloud infrastructure for the Olympic Games in the Broadcast Engineering department. This role ensures that the IT and Cloud infrastructures run smoothly and securely, and that users have access to the resources and services they need.
This position reports to Broadcast Network and IBC System Senior Manager.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Participate in a working group responsible for the deployment and development of the broadcast infrastructure for the Olympic Games, sharing knowledge with the rest of the team and reporting issues to management when necessary.
• Design Cloud and IT solutions providing ideas and proposal for the implementation based on technical and functional requirements.
• Elaborate technical documentation for the implementation of the Cloud and IT systems including detailed system diagrams, cable lists and rack layouts.
• Coordinate the deployment of the IT infrastructure with the installation’s team at the host city of the Olympic Games.
• Responsible of Cloud based solutions in coordination with the Broadcast Systems department elaborating the designs, carrying out the deployment, and running the operation of the systems.
• Design and maintain private virtualization infrastructure (VMware).
• Manage OS in different systems (Linux and Windows) providing support to other areas withing the Broadcast Systems department.
• Manage Container based infrastructure (Docker).
• Work with compressed and uncompressed video service over IP (ST2022-2 and ST2110)
• Work with internet-based video transport protocols (SRT, HLS)
• Work with video encoders and transcoders
• Project Management controlling the full cycle of several projects including time plan management, procurement, budget management, resource management and reporting.
• Interaction and cooperation with vendors and service providers for the execution of the projects
• Lead a team of systems administrators during the Games period.
• Responsible to monitor all the critical systems in place for the operation (ElasticSearch, Grafana, Prometheus).
• Participate in the definition of Cyber-security measures and implement in the broadcast systems.
• Product owner in SW development processes following SCRUM methodology.
Skills & Requirements
• Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field, or equivalent work experience
• Strong knowledge of Windows and Linux operating systems
• Strong knowledge of networking protocols and devices
• Strong knowledge of cloud computing platforms, and backup and recovery tools
• Strong knowledge of video streaming technologies
• Experience with scripting languages and automation tools
• Able to work independently and as part of a team
• Communicate effectively with different stakeholders, and solve problems quickly and efficiently.
Workplace & Environment
• Fast paced work environment.
• Subject to national/international criminal background checks.
• Permanent position based in our offices in Madrid, Spain.
• Availability to travel including to host cities during Games Time (up to 6 months on a two-year cycle).
About Olympic Channel Services