Software Engineering Manager - Computer Vision in Madrid or Remote
The Reality Labs (RL) organization at Meta is helping people around the world come together and connect through world-class Augmented and Virtual reality (AR/VR) products. With global departments dedicated to research and development in computer vision, machine learning, haptics, social interaction, and more, RL is committed to driving the state of the art forward through relentless innovation. The potential to change the world is immense - and we’re just getting started. Augmented and Virtual reality will transform the way people come together to work and play. By developing new hardware and software products capable of understanding human appearance, movement and expression, we aim to make it possible for people to feel like they are directly in front of each other, despite being separated by vast distances. By developing new products capable of understanding the human environments, we will enable a metaverse where people can share virtual experiences which interact seamlessly with the real world. Our XR Tech organization in Zurich is focused on research and development of machine perception technologies from early concepts to production level across all of Meta’s RL products and surfaces including AR/VR products and Family of Apps (Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, WhatsApp). We develop core capabilities across a range of product domains including mixed reality, scene and object understanding, world-scale mapping, avatars, AR/VR remote presence / calling, digital fashion, AR Sharing, and more. In this role you will both manage and partner with groups working across the full spectrum from research to product development supporting multiple product lines. You will oversee technical investment portfolios comprising state-of-the-art computer vision, machine learning and software engineering across all technology areas needed for AR/VR experiences. You will also be responsible for developing longer-term technical and product strategies in collaboration with key partners.
Software Engineering Manager - Computer Vision Responsibilities
- Leading an organization comprised of applied scientists and engineers from prototyping across development and integration of advanced systems relying heavily on Computer Vision and Machine Learning technologies.
- Owning the development of system requirements, and collaborating with respective teams to mature and integrate technologies necessary to create product architectures that can deliver these requirements.
- Engaging cross-functionally with other researchers and engineers to develop concepts that advance the entire product pipeline across hardware, software, integration, infrastructure, and applications.
- Champion engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics and processes for regular assessment and improvement.
- Recruit world-class talent and provide technical leadership and guidance to both your team members and your project peers.
- Set clear expectations and create a positive work environment based on accountability, in collaboration with the engineering and management teams.
- Coordinating with research, user research, art, partnership and legal to both define and execute technology development with key partners & suppliers.
- Operate strategically and tactically. Working closely with various organizations to define and execute the long-term strategies and roadmaps and help set direction while staying on top of the day to day software development.
- BS degree in Engineering, Physics, Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Experience of people management in multi-disciplinary global teams at the intersection of tech and product, including building performing teams and organization.
- Experience supporting an engineering and research organization through technical leadership.
- Demonstrated experience in recruiting and managing technical teams, including performance management.
- Experience in managing teams productizing Computer Vision or AI/Machine Learning technologies from conception to end.
- Leadership and interpersonal communication experience in working across many disciplines, driving best practices, and mentoring team members.
- Technical experience in leading teams/projects in one or more of the technical domains of machine perception (i.e., machine vision, deep learning, sensors and robotics).
- Ms or PhD in a related field of Computer Vision, Computer Graphics or AI/Machine Learning.
- Experience managing joint hardware-software development and associated rapid prototyping projects.
- Experience in leading teams interfacing with HW (sensors, silicon) teams in setting requirements and product tradeoffs.
- Flexibility and resilience in a dynamic environment.
Menlo Park, CA, USA