Skyscanner is a leading global travel search site and app, a place where people are inspired to plan and book direct from millions of travel options at the best prices. We employ over 800 staff across ten offices globally, and, having reached market leader status, we were recently acquired by Chinese online travel company Ctrip in a deal valued at £1.4bn. While we remain operationally independent, our acquisition by Ctrip allows us to take the business to the next level of accelerated global growth. It’s a hugely exciting time for Skyscanner and the over 60m people who use us every month. We are unbiased and free; our secret is in our unique proprietary technology that connects people directly to everything the travel industry has to offer.
We're seeking mobile engineers to join us in our Edinburgh office and be part of our highly distributed global team. We have a mantra for scaling and innovation and as such we are recruiting across several of our teams and this role has arisen due to that continued growth.
We’re building some kickass tooling, with deploy pipelines out of the box to get moving quickly and exploring server side/hybrid rendering strategies for our iOS and Android apps as well as looking at ReactNative.
If you enjoy a range of technical challenges across app development where we are building and shipping features from the ground up, then this could be the role for you. Product teams working on mobile apps also do data analysis, design systems and release services which all adds up to a mobile experience.
Skyscanner operates in a Tribes and Squads model and we have created an engineering culture where there is a high level of trust, autonomy and transparency. Our engineers work in autonomous teams (squads), they create their own backlog, they ship code whenever they want and don’t have dependencies in order to deliver to their users. Our engine uses global scale services, big data and machine learning to capture, normalise and make sense of real time information from our thousands of partners.
What you can expect as a mobile engineer
- A supportive, trusting and transparent working environment
- A place to look at things differently and challenge and offer solutions
- Overall responsibility of multiple key product feature components within your area
- You will define and implement services that make up a complex sub system within the scope of your area
- Collaboration across all relevant product engineering development lifecycles
- An opportunity to influence the engineers around you
What we are looking for
- Previous job experience as a software engineer ideally within an internet economy business
- Metrics driven approach to decision making, prioritisation and continuous deployment
- Proven competencies in developing, releasing and maintaining native apps
- Use of agile/lean methodologies for continuous delivery and improvement
- Comfortable balancing trade offs between technical, analytical and product needs
- Strong customer focus and appreciation of what makes good product, UX and design
- You make others better proactively through code reviews, documentation, technical guidance and mentoring
- You will work with or lead your team to break down solutions into small tasks to be completed autonomously
- We don’t expect you to be an expert in all of these technologies but would anticipate experience with some, combined with a curiosity for others- Objective-C, Java, Swift, Fastlane, Gradle, Microservices, Docker, Drone, AWS, SQL, Python, Elasticsearch
- It would be useful to have experience in large scale systems deployed to AWS
We are proud to have a working environment that sets our employees up for success, as well as all the usual perks you would expect from barista machines to massage chairs, to free food, holiday buying scheme as well as frequent townhalls with our CEO. What we really aim for is a place where people can thrive, be trusted to make impact and ultimately help us put our users first.
What you will get in Barcelona -
Situated in the Placa Catalunya in Barcelona’s bustling centre, known for its many fountains and statues and nearby some of Barcelona’s most popular attractions. Our acquisition of hotel search company Fogg saw the birth of Skyscanner’s hotels product and is a hub of product engineering activity. With space to hire many more staff we are excited to welcome our new recruits.
Skyscanner can offer you large scale, complex problems where you can reach 60 million users whilst enjoying a high level of autonomy and influence and a flexible working environment where you can thrive.
Join us now.
- - ‘Skyscanner University’ offers a range of courses for tech and business topics.
- - At Skyscanner there’s no clocking in and there’s no bell at the end of the day, they prefer to give you the freedom and autonomy to do your job, add value and own your work.
- - Better than average annual leave in all office locations.
- - There’s enhanced maternity and paternity leave and a flexible working policy to encourage and enable a healthy work-life balance.
Official website, founding date, employees, how did it all begin... Do you know the whole story?Tell Us!