Would you like to be part of Vizzuality’s story?
Vizzuality’s purpose is to reach a fair and sustainable planet by creating tools that radically empower people to make positive changes now.
We are a world-leading technology agency based in Madrid, Cambridge, and Porto. We design and develop data-driven tools and applications for international organizations who focus on Climate Change, Biodiversity and Inequality.
Solving such large and complex problems will bring you into contact with new technology and some of the world’s most interesting organisations and academics in machine learning, remote sensing, and planetary data. You’ll be working on projects like these:
Our Culture “This is how we do things here”
Our aim is to help the world become a better place, therefore we need to make sure we care about our people and empower them to build great things. These are some of the things that defines our culture:
-Our team structure relies on self-organisation.
-We want to work with colleagues who don't have to look ‘up’ for approval, nor look ‘down’ and give instruction.
-As soon as you put a foot inside, we will provide you with the best tools and technology, and then will trust you to do great things.
-For ourselves, our colleagues, the organisation.
-We are driven to change the world for good and that's embedded in everything we do.
-As we are always embarking on new projects and challenges, a continuous learning mindset and a “Can Do” attitude is a must
-We are conscientious, we focus on learning and achieving our goals
-We empower people to make decisions, to plot their own paths with help from all around them
We have fun:
-We know what we do is important and we have a strong sense of responsibility for the work we do.
-But we also know that you need to balance seriousness with fun. If you can make people smile you will be off to a great start!
A day in the life of a Software Engineer at Vizzuality
We’re looking for someone to work alongside a world class and super talented team of engineers, designers, and scientists, Someone who is passionate about using their creativity and technical skills to make a difference in people’s lives, the environment and to help make the world a better place.
- You will be designing and developing cross-functional, multi-platform application systems to ingest, process, analyze and serve large amounts of data in the cloud, often in real time, and ensuring their craftsmanship, availability, resilience, and scalability.
- Working hands on across our stack is one of the things Engineers at Vizzuality do the most. You will be working on NodeJS, Rails and/or the Python stack and will also be experimenting with new technologies. If you don't know about a specific technology or get stuck in a tricky problem, you will always have someone around to help you learn and move forward.
- A lot of your time will be spent liaising with data scientists, front-end engineers, project managers, and designers to find novel and creative technical solutions that solve specific client/project needs and integrate disparate technologies such as remote sensing, machine learning, image processing or statistical computing into public APIs
- You will also be communicating with users, colleagues, leading scientists and decision makers to collect requirements, describe features and technical designs, and define product strategy.
- Last but not least, our engineers ensure software quality, robustness, and compliance with standards by reviewing code, documenting, and creating automated tests.
These are some of the things you will be achieving in your first year at Vizzuality
1) On your first month:
- You’ll pair with your peers in the backend team so you get used to the way of doing things at Vizzuality.
- You’ll read documentation, write small features and participate in team meetings (weekly, with the possibility of daily stand ups on some projects).
- You’ll get to know people from the rest of the functional teams (science, design, front-end, business development) and development teams.
- At the end of your first month, you’ll be assigned to a lengthier project.
2) During the following months:
- You’ll develop ownership of the project you’ve been assigned to. You’ll write features, documentation, tests and fixes. All of this will be done in communication with your peers.
- You’ll also develop your skills around data-rich application engineering, cloud computing and data processing.
- Finally, you’ll participate in the definition of architectures and functional features for new project phases or new projects.
3) By the end of the first year:
- You’ll already have written several innovative features for ground-breaking projects with large real-world impact (we absolutely mean this!);
- You’ll be leading the software engineering process in your own projects.
“Relevant skills and experiences of the role”
- Proficiency in NodeJS, Ruby (on Rails) or Python and general server-side programming concepts.
- Familiarity with other modern programming languages, like Go or Elixir.
- Knowledge of API development industry standards: JSONAPI, Swagger
- Designing systems based on modular architectures such as microservices, serverless, etc. Familiarity with docker, docker compose and Kubernetes.
- Excellent teamwork and collaboration skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
Compensation, Benefits & Growth “This is what you get when you join Vizzuality”
Our compensation and benefits are part of a great career opportunity with the potential for you to grow and work in something with a massive transformational purpose. So if you really care about the real-world impact of your work and are inspired by our mission to transform the world, we can offer you:
1) Compensation & Benefits:
- A competitive salary. We are offering for this role between 25K - 35K Euros depending on your experience.
- A yearly bonus up to 10% of the salary depending on the company's performance and your own.
If you are based in our Madrid or Porto office, you will get Health & Dental Insurance subsidized by the company.
- Flexible Benefits: Depending on your location you could be benefiting from allowances on transport, food, bikes and / or kindergarten.
- 22 Holiday Days + 1 Day for your birthday
- One extra month of paternity leave
2) Work and Personal Life Integration:
- We are a “remote friendly culture” and we try to run our meetings online as much as we can.
- We offer a flexible work environment and flexible hours, and as long as you do what you have to do, meet your objectives and coordinate accordingly with your team, we are not so worried if you work at the office, in a coffee shop, on your sofa at home, or at the beach!
3) Learning and working in new and interesting things is fun so we offer many opportunities to do so:
- You will get annually a training allowance of 1000 Eur so you can spend learning cool things (ie. courses, conferences, workshops, books, etc.)
- Get your hands-on cool technology and applications to do your work, communicate, and build great things
- You will work alongside a talented team of engineers, designers, and scientists with multiple backgrounds and skills
- Peer mentoring and agreed career paths
- Support for giving talks and contributing to open source projects/initiatives that align with Vizzuality
“Do you have what it takes? Recruitment Process Overview”
Do you have what it takes to change the world? We’re always excited to grow our team with curious, empathetic and honest people with whom we can learn and develop professionally and personally together.
If after reading the description of the role, you like our culture and you believe you have what it takes to join Vizzuality, please send us your application.
This is how the recruitment process looks like and also some suggestions for you to include and consider in your application:
- Send us your CV and Cover Letter, explaining why you would like to work with us and what you can bring to the team. Please include any samples of your code and projects you find relevant to the offer.
- Fluent English is really important to us, so if it’s not your first language please demonstrate your abilities in your CV and Cover Letter
- Having a legal permit to work in Spain/Portugal/UK is mandatory and required, so make sure to state and confirm you are eligible to work in one of our offices. In other words, even if you match all requirements for the role and have the best skills, if you don't have the legal permit to work in one of our offices, we won't be able to include you in the recruitment process.
- This is a 30 minute informal interview so you can get to know a bit better the company, our culture and ask any questions about the role and our ways of working.
- From our side, we are interested in understanding more about what you are looking for and what you care about.
3) The Challenge:
- We will invite you to complete an assignment to understand more how you work, reason and solve problems through a challenge.
- We will send you via email a challenge for you to think of, and then we will ask you to send us your ideas back.
- You will be meeting with a few of us and we will deep dive into your background, experience and skills.
- This will be another opportunity for you to ask us questions about the role and the company.
5) Catch Up with the team:
- During the last stage of the process the idea is to offer you a final opportunity to get to know more people on the team so you can make a more informed decision.
- You will be meeting (online or at the office) people from different areas/levels/offices, so you can get an idea of what different people in the company do, how we organise ourselves, our typical day to day, or any other info you may want to get first hand