The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio, the world’s leading cloud communication platform, is growing rapidly. We are more than 5,000 Twilions worldwide, and we're proud to have our Phone Numbers Product drive industry direction through breadth, depth and innovation. Join us as we begin the next stage of Phone Numbers at Twilio, pushing forward the entire industry in the process - and help us build our first team in Madrid!
You will be building the next generation of our phone numbers system - packed with innovation, high scale/low latency and high quality.
A great day for you would be working alongside a small and collaborative team, whiteboarding ideas, building APIs used by all Twilio customers, as well as constantly improving services that power Twilio’s top products and also generate significant revenue.
Join us at Twilio, a Silicon Valley company that has never lost its startup “heart and soul” and be part of our journey to fuel the future of communications.
Twilio is looking for an engineer who lives Twilio Magic and has proven experience of production level software development. You also have:
- 2+ years of programming experience in, at least, one object-oriented language such as Java, C++, or C#. Experience with at least one framework in which you can be called a specialist.
- Experience working with highly scalable large distributed systems, relational databases like MySQL, data pipeline systems, frameworks to build high-performance RESTful web services.
- Proficient (and opinionated) on what makes a good REST API.
- Prior experience with PHP and/or Python is a plus.
- Experience designing, building and supporting mission critical user-facing systems.
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills. You work with your team towards common goals.
- You have the ability to listen, present, and question effectively.
- Knowledge of processes and engineering standard methodologies in all phases of the software development life cycle.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills - You are confident in writing down and presenting your designs and decisions throughout the development lifecycle. You are also comfortable providing and receiving feedback in an Agile environment.
As a software engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: You embrace putting your ideas, plans and updates into Github, JIRA, Wikis or Google docs.
- DRAW THE OWL: When you and the team encounter challenges, you pride yourself in being able to pave a safe path to continue execution.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Passion for and proven track record of executing product opportunities deeply grounded in customer needs
- BE AN OWNER: Truly own the product you work on. Be responsible for SLA, oncall, incident resolution, customer feedback and participate in blameless post-mortems to make our products better.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: You like to collaborate with and invest in your peers including Product Managers to deliver a meaningful product to the customers.
Twilio has been used by millions of developers and the Phone numbers product is at the heart of Twilio. We interact with customers from when they first sign up and get their first Twilio number, and thereafter every single time they search for a number, provision a number or when their call or message flows through Twilio’s platform.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our Madrid office. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.