We are looking for an experienced and talented software engineer, who is comfortable working in a fast paced, innovative environment. The role covers all aspects of our product stack so you’ll have good experience of Linux, and be experienced in building smart auto-scaling, robust systems based on a micro-services architecture in AWS. Performance and scalability are important to us, so experience with writing algorithms and data structures is significant advantage.
- Automated Build Systems (such as Jenkins or Travis CI)
- Building RESTful web APIs
- Cloud deployments (AWS)
- Testing frameworks (such as Junit or Mockito)
- Databases (such as MySQL, PostGRES)
- Payment systems (such as Stripe)
- An interest in compression algorithms and/or information theory
- Apache Tomcat, Jetty or Spring Boot
- CSS and SASS
You will have:
- Excellent communication skills with perfect spoken and written English
- The ability to talk to techies and non-techies in suitable language
- A passion for development and staying current with technology trends
- The ability to work both independently and with others
- A focus on high quality software engineering work and attention to detail
- The ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
Extra credit if you:
- Like maps and location based services and know what a GIS is, what Leaflet and the Google Maps API are and what the difference between latitude and longitude is
- Are able to understand the business context of what you’re doing – understand the value your work creates.
- Enjoy learning new skills in scripting languages and how to use those to showcase our products
The what3words team is a mix of experienced entrepreneurs, people who have worked at the highest levels in large global organisations, academics, and bright graduates – it’s a good balance, and it’s important for us that we get the right person who is happy working alongside people from these backgrounds. We have a relaxed and focused office in West London, with regular team socials, and we expect to add more benefits as we grow. We have a culture that encourages curiosity and imagination in how we achieve our goals, and an absolute focus on building a global business.
We hope in 5 years you will be proud to tell people you were one of the early joiners at what3words.
We are looking for someone to start this role as soon as possible, so applications will be considered as and when we receive them.
Please note that this role will be based in our London office, therefore we will only accept applications from individuals based in London (or ready to move to London immediately) and those that have authorisation to work in the UK.
Get in touch with some combination of CV, your LinkedIn or GitHub profile with a covering letter to tell us about who you are and why you’re interested in what we’re doing.
You can send all of this and anything else you think we should see to email@example.com.