The Who, What, Why and Where
It’s time to build! Twilio's Edge Services team is looking for an inspired, humble, growth-oriented Software Engineer to help us keep empowering developers all around the world to build modern communication applications and experiences. As part of Edge Services, you will build and operate mission critical backend services that are trusted by Twilio customers and engineers alike. We enable Twilio engineers to focus on innovation while delivering consistent experiences across our products for our customers.
If you feel excitement when being exposed to the challenges and opportunities that come with building distributed, low latency and highly-available systems at scale, you may be a fantastic fit!
Twilio is looking for a motivated Software Engineer who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated capacity to learn and adapt, with a passion to build services and tooling that enable other engineering teams. Candidates should have demonstrated success working collaboratively to build high-quality backend systems. They also have:
- 2+ years experience in backend software engineering.
- Strong preference for someone with prior exposure to service-oriented architectures, microservices or REST APIs.
- Proficiency in one programming language and exposure to a few others.
- Hands-on experience with database solutions.
- Have the technical ability to understand software development lifecycle, collaborating with other engineers in a fast-paced and diverse environment.
- Understands the pros and cons of technologies and is open to make pragmatic, practical choices.
- Experience with the Cloud, APIs, monitoring and instrumentation of distributed systems is a plus.
As a Software Engineer on the Edge Services team, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Design, implement, test rigorously and support microservices at scale in a collaborative environment. Advocate for and implement operational best practices and serve on-call for the team’s services.
- DRAW THE OWL: Demonstrate quickness in learning and ability to teach constantly. Take part in sprint, weekly, and quarterly planning ceremonies.
- BE INCLUSIVE & EMPOWER OTHERS: Consistently share your ideas and request feedback. Mentor more junior engineers to grow professionally.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Communicate complex ideas simply through verbal and written communication.
Edge Services is responsible for the ingestion of Twilio’s Web Console and API traffic, and its supporting services. As part of the Commons Platform organization, we provide building blocks for all of Twilio customers and engineers alike, with high-availability and low-latency requirements, in order to effectively enable over tens of millions of inbound HTTP requests every day. We take great pride in wearing customer’s shoes and taking decisions inclusively. It is extremely important for us to build services with exceptionally high uptime, availability, and success rates.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our Madrid, Spain office at Paseo de la Castellana, 77, although working remotely in Spain is also an option. Here, over 60 Twilions are fully dedicating their skills to our different products and initiatives while at the same time creating a unique office-culture in what has become one of Twilio’s fastest growing “tech-hub” offices worldwide. An office that, as the terrible COVID-19 pandemic has shown us, can overcome any challenges and stay focused and united during difficult times, always putting the safety and health of our employees and their families first. We have proven we can all have a strong impact and coordinate well together no matter where we work from.
Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.