Secret Escapes work at a furious rate to deliver new features, working in the platform team will involve ensuring the best tooling is available to deliver features that are reliable, scalable, secure and the process is repeatable. We are looking for new members of the team to join at a range of levels from junior to senior Developers and to be based in our London, Berlin or new Bristol office.
Secret Escapes is the UK’s biggest members‐only website that runs best‐in‐market flash sales of four and five star hotels and holidays worldwide. We offer our members exclusive rates of up to 70% off.
Launched in February 2011 and founded by Alex Saint, Troy Collins and Tom Valentine, the company works with its leading hotel, tour operator and travel agent partners to negotiate outstanding rates for over ten million members globally. Outside of the UK, Secret Escapes operates in several European countries and the USA. In 2016 the company will be expanding into Asia.
We're looking for self-starters to join the gang, who can keep up with the pace and want to make a difference. We still work in relatively small teams, so there's no room for coasting along. We're friendly, happy, and most importantly, we work hard. We're not afraid to get our hands dirty and we're all madly passionate about our brand. We also have fun parties and don't have to wear uncomfortable suits to work.
Our company vision is to inspire the World to escape…. hopefully this Job description will help you to escape so you can help the World to.
Our developers say
- We're open to exploring and improving the ways in which we build software. We're a team that embraces change and want to work with the best tools, processes and people.
- We socialize as a team. From team lunches to board games and LAN gaming, we have fun.
- We work closely with the business. We sit in the same space with the key stakeholders. You get to see the impact of your work right away and get immediate feedback.
- We believe in working with open source and giving back to the community.
- We have hack days are once a fortnight where we can work on projects we wouldn’t normally have chance to in our day to day.
- Professional growth is encouraged with individual budget available to be spent as required on training, conferences, etc
Things you’ll be working on
Secret Escapes work at a furious rate to deliver new features, working in the platform team will involve ensuring the best tooling is available to deliver features that are reliable, scalable, secure and the process is repeatable. To achieve these goals you will be both working closely with other teams as well as working independently, so collaboration skills are just as important as being able to deliver independently. The team is agile and uses the Kanban methodology which allows us to be responsive to the changing requirements of the business.
What we are looking for
- You treat programming like a craft, code cleanly, and want to get better at it each day.
- You understand software design principles, patterns and their application
- You understand OO programing in various languages such as Groovy, Python, Java, etc
- You appreciate that your code supports a business and care about how it will be used.
- You understand agile principles like Test-driven-development and Pair-programming.
- You believe that great software is built through communication and collaboration.
- You are willing to explore new ideas and try out new tools.
- You appreciate the opportunities and challenges of a distributed work environment.
- You are solution focused with a pragmatic approach to problem solving.
- You want to automate everything.
- You can prioritise tasks and work independently.
Things you should know
We have a great range of technologies (if we do say so ourselves) experience with these is beneficial but not a requirement: Groovy, Python, MySQL, MongoDB, Redis, Jenkins, Linux, SmartOS, AWS, Ansible, Fabric and others.
Our teams are named after some music greats and this role would sit in the Nirvana team... get practicing your best rendition of ‘Smells Like Team Spirit’.
We are a multicultural team with developers based in a few different locations, including Berlin (Germany), Pozanan (Poland) and Skopje (Macedonia). We communicate and collaborate with a variety of tool including Slack, Google Hangouts and TeamViewer which gives us flexibility to work from almost any location.
About Secret Escapes