We’re Ocado Technology. We design and build the systems and technology that power ocado.com, the world's largest online-only grocery retailer and groceries.morrisons.com, the world’s fastest growing online supermarket!
Behind the public face, we write and build all our own systems, from website to warehouse control systems, van routing systems to mobile apps, every system involved in the operation has been carefully crafted by our large team of talented software engineers. We are constantly pushing the limits of what our technology can do. To accelerate this work, we are expanding our development team and building our newest development centre in Barcelona Spain. We are a rapidly expanding development team, backed by an established tech company from the UK. We plan to grow this new development centre to 200 people over the next 3 years - and that's based on our existing growth curve and conservative growth estimates (rather than the potential growth of a startup!).
As our business evolves, we are writing a next generation, cloud based grocery platform, Ocado Smart Platform, which will be used to run Ocado, Morrisons and many other international retailers in the future. Join us and you’ll have the opportunity to work across a wide range of technology, with some exceptionally smart people, to create an unrivalled platform.
Here’s a list of the things that we’d be looking for but more important than any individual skill you will demonstrate strong alignment to the Ocado Technology values of Autonomy, Collaboration, Craftsmanship, Learn Fast and Trust.
Skills and Experience
- Proven experience leading a team of software engineers and applying principles of continuous improvement
- Agile advocate with good knowledge of scrum, kanban and lean working practices
- Good ability to understand the business domain and foster a good relationship with the business and product owner
- Experience recruiting staff and mentoring development teams
- Architectural oversight, technical leadership and strategic direction
- Strong programming and object-oriented design skills
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Pragmatic, but with a keen eye for detail
- Happy leading teams of developers of various technical disciplines
- Licenciado o Titulo de Ingeniero en Ingenieria Informatica o Tecnologias de la Informacion (A good degree in Computer Science or related subject)
Nice to have
- Knowledge of Java, AWS, Cloud Computing and NoSQL
- Knowledge of Web Services and micro-service architectures
- A fanaticism for clean code!
- Passion and understanding for TDD, pair programming and other agile practices
- Practical experience with continuous delivery
- A mastery of git!
- Flexible working hours
- Developer Exchange program: a 2 - 3 week exchange giving you the opportunity to work at one of our overseas development centres
- A choice of equipment (mac / linux / windows)
- Both in house and external training programs
- A selection of snacks, tea and coffee and fresh fruit
- Monthly drinks events to find out what’s happening in the rest of the business, and to meet and relax with your colleagues
- Team building activities
- Relaxed dress code
Over the next few months we’ll be moving into new offices in Barcelona, and building up our portfolio of benefits and rewards. We are just getting going, which will make it a very exciting time to join! Being part of our growing team you will soon enjoy the following additional benefits:
- Share options
- Private health insurance
- Amazing office space
- Table football table
- Language courses
There’s a lot going on at Ocado Technology! Find out more about us at http://www.ocadotechnology.com
Due to the fast paced nature of our business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.